1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow Jackets swarming Crepe Myrtle

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by harryhomeowner, Oct 4, 2004.

1. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

I have a Crepe Myrtle that is infested with yellow jackets. The base of the tree has a ground cover, I can't remember the name (sorry). Therefore, I don't know exactly where the nest is.

How do I kill of these little PITA's...btw, I spent Sunday morning in Urgent care as I'm allergic to Yellow Jackets.

Looking forward to your suggestions. Please no gas as it is very close to the house.
  2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Control is best achieved by applying a pesticide directly into the nest opening. This can be done at anytime of the day, but near dusk, most of the yellow jackets are more likely to be inside the nest. You can use any of the aerosol "Wasp & Hornet" sprays that propel insecticide in a stream about 10-12 feet.

Direct the spray into the nest opening and then move away from the area in case any of them emerge from the nest. You may need to be repeat the treatment on the following evening.

Long sleeved shirt and long pants may be worn when spraying to make the you feel more at ease.

Do not hold a lit flashlight or stand near car headlights or other lights. Emerging yellow jackets may be attracted in that direction and sting anyone nearby.

Ortho® Hornet & Wasp Killer
    Sprays from up to 20 ft. away available sizes: 15 oz.

Enhanced foaming acton traps insects for superior kill.
    Reaches nests up to 20 feet above ground.
    Foaming formula traps insects in nest so they can't escape
    Long-lasting action kills wasps, hornets and yellow jackets returning to treated nest

Water-based formula
    Available in 15 oz. aerosol

At your local hardware store

3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

What coffee said. Also, yellow jackets like to keep the opening to the nest clear, so look for an area where the groundcover appears to have a somewhat unnatural opening near where you see the bees flying around.