Yellow Jackets!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sglawn, Sep 23, 2005.

1. sglawn

sglawn LawnSite Member

I keep running over yellow jacket nests this year. What is the best remedy you guys have found to treat the stings when they happen? Thanks for all the replies!

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Meat tenderizer mixed with a little water, it will make a paste that removes the stinger.

3. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

Scape sting with credit card or drivers licenses apply tobacco dip in can is best on sting and cover. tobacco will draw out poison and take benedril to slow swelling there was some thing else to do but i forget.

Things to get at store and put in truck.
    Dip in can moist type
    benadrill(very important workers or your self can be alleregc and can be fatal)

4. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Have an employee take a PEE on the sting.............oh wait, I think that is for jelly-fish stings.

You may still want to try it anyways, let me know if it works. LOL.....

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

David's advice is good.

Also, this sounds completely totally nuts, but electric shock also seems to work as an anti-venom... as in instantly with instant pain relief. I was told the same thing and thought "that's nutzzzzz!!!" but found out by pure accident that it was true.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I was developing an alergy to yellow jacket stings, having never been bothered after multiple yearly stings. I was in bad shape with this one sting. After the shock there was fast improvement and since, I have been stung again and had a below average reaction.

Let me see if I can find those old threads....

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

7. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I ran over a nest two days ago and got stung twice on the same arm.. It is swelled up pretty good still.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Frankly, I don't know which is worse...the pain from the sting or the 2 days of itching afterward.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member