Yellow Jackets

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DBALLARD, Jul 2, 2001.

DBALLARD LawnSite Member

Watch out - the Bees are out and ready. I live in NC and I just ran over 3 yellow jackets nests in 2 days (two in the same yard).
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

You're telling me! The damn things put me in the hospital emergency room for 3 hours last weekend! Scary as I had never had a reaction before, but I guess 15-20 stings will do it to you.
  3. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Watch out guys, if you can avoid the nest until after the sun goes down then pour a little 50-1 fuel :angry: then if its the 4th of July you just strike a match, and OH, don't forget to run...LOL:blob2: :blob2:
  4. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yellow jackets are the worst!
    The swarm into little holes in the ground. Then you run it over with your mower because you can't see it.
    Then all HELL breaks loose.

They have a well earned reputation for defending their home!

You will surprise yourself with how fast you can run, to say the least

You get stung enough, it will cost you the rest of the day. If not your life!

Good Luck out there!

DBALLARD LawnSite Member

That Gas trick does the job. I used 1 and a half cans of hot-shot wasp killer on one nest and the were still alive. The next night a put a litte gas down the hole - no more bees:)
  6. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a bees' nest in my shed one summer. The bees and I co-existed harmoniously for a dozen weeks. I didn't bother them and they didn't bother me (even though their nest was only inches from my head when I walked in). It was a comfortable yet tentative relationship and I was carefull not to break that trust. Everything was going good until one day, without provocation, several renegade hive members stung me about the head face and neck when I entered the shed. I felt stupid for thinking we could ever coexist. I fixed them though. I came back with a large glass mayonaise jar, then I trapped the nest inside the jar and ceiling, slid the jar around until the nest plopped in (with dozens of angry bees), capped the jar and put it in a nice sunny spot. :D
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have a bee story. there was an underground nest under a rhodedendren i my yard. so, wait till night and get the gas can out. i had my neighbor move the branch away so i could pour straight into the hole. well, it turned out the branch was a little under the mulch and it lifted the whole nest. only got stung once, but got a good run that day.
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I almost hit a nest last week. They were in a shady area and on the next round I saw them near my last tire marks. I get stung just about every year by YJs. Sometimes by hornets, and one time by bumble bees that were coming out of the ground. Good way to ruin your day and make you paranoid for along time.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Not to be nit-picky or anything but Yellow Jackets are not bees. They are a member of the wasp family. They are amoung the most agressive critters I have ever seen though.

The most times I have ever been stung was around 13-14. What I really hate is the itching that comes along after about 2-3 days.

I usually inform the homeowner of the problem and I assure the homeowner that the grass will not be cut in that spot until they are gone.
  10. linky

linky LawnSite Member

Yea those Yellow Jackets are back. They dont seem to have gotten real aggressive yet-but will very soon. I got so paranoid of them last year my wife said i should buy a bee keepers suit. I still thinking about it lol.