Yellow jackets

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by expfcwintergreen, Aug 13, 2012.

1. expfcwintergreen

expfcwintergreen LawnSite Member

I found a yellow jacket nest in my front yard the hard way, by running over it with a lawn mower. I was lucky to only get stung 4 times. I was watching the nest from a distance yesterday, and it seems very active. there were a couple of other similar looking holes close by; do some nests have two entrances or more?

I have read that it is best to kill yellow jackets after dark. Has anyone used a spray that absolutely kills them, preferably from a distance. I don't want to just make them mad.

I looked on the Lowes and Home Depot sites. Both had sprays for wasps and yellow jackets with the usual mix of reviews saying that they work great and others saying they don't work at all.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. ihave used some with some sucess, but what i've done lately is pour some gas in the hole after dark, yeah not the best thing but they are no longer a problem.

3. NEwhere1

NEwhere1 LawnSite Member

I pour gas in the whole a couple cups after dark....

4. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I do the same as the other 2 do. Works great.

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I keep a can of spray on the truck, it seems to work good and keep the yellow jackets from moving to another spot.

6. Burnie

Burnie LawnSite Member

Just because it works does not mean it is the best thing to do. Please call a professional who can take care of the problem properly. JMHO

7. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

8. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

This is by far the best option.
    If the nest is on the larger size, after the nest is completely dead (give it a day or two), you will want to dig it up, or else the smell from it rotting after a few weeks can get pretty ripe.

9. expfcwintergreen

expfcwintergreen LawnSite Member

I will probably try the Sevin Dust first as the less nuclear of the solutions and hold the gasoline in reserve if the Sevin Dust isn't quick enough. I assume as long as I do it at night that I won't get stung sprinkling Sevin Dust around and in the entrance to the nest; I plan to do it around 4 am Sunday morning when I get up.

LarryinAlabama: What is the name of the spray you use?

Thank you to everyone for your help.

10. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

If you go into Lesco you can buy tempo dust, squirt some into the hole. When the yellow jackets come in or out or cool the nest the dust moves all thru it. And yes there can be a second hole if the tunnels were taken from a critter that has multiple exits.
    Posted via Mobile Device