1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Yellow Jackets

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I stopped on the way home the other day to chat with an LCO that does a church near me. At the end of the conversation, he told me about getting into several yellow jacket nests. I backed the trailer into my carport, went in and took a shower and drank some gatorade. I went out to disconnect it wearing my boxers and there was a yellow jacket buzzing around the tongue. It was carrying something with some difficulty. It looked like some kind of larvae. Could that have been the queen? Anyway, I doused him good with the long arm spray but I've noticed a lot of them lately. Is there a "season" for yellow jackets other than just summertime? I mean could you "look" for them at a certain time of summer?

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

yeah--yellow jackets are annoying.

but these guys can put a serious hurting on you!

GEO :eek:

ouch.jpg

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

That was a tender. He was just trying to save one of the little ones. His job is to defend them to the death. The queen arrives later ina large white limo about the length of you shoe. She's very needy so don't let them into your house, you'll never get rid of them.....

come to think of it, sounds like my mother in law.

4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Geo, That looks like what we call Cicada Killers here in Tn. They are not aggressive but can sting and yes it hurts. They have started popping up at come of my clients lawns. They make a big mess resembling mole hills thruoghout the lawn. I mow through swarms of the this time a year. It is time for the Yellow Jackets to unexpectedly pop up here as well.

5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I saw one of those giant wasps in my lawn (no nest though) thank god, I was coming back from the neighbors yard who had so many yellow jackets. Everywhere you looked you would see at least 2 or 3. It was my slowest time on that property cz every time grass touched my leg, I'd jump. I guess they arent aggressive unless you run over their nests.

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Oops, double posted... but anyhow, I have a good colony of them critters going at a place that was recently taken over by "Joe Scrubbynuts Ten Dollar Lawn Service."
    His slogan., I think, is, "I'm cheaper, and it shows!"

Good Luck, Joe!

Crawdad

8. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

Yeah I know what your talking about. My mom got stung by a cicada killer on her ring finger and it swelled up so big my dad had to cut the ring off.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

crawdad--perhaps the new lawn guy will MEET the new inhabitants??? LOL!

GEO

10. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Was cleaning gutters on a greenhouse over the weekend, got the hose up there started spraying it all down, one yellow jacket came out, then another before ya knkow it im dancing around in this 3 inch gutter with nothing to hold on to, they went up my shirt, i got stund 3 times, sure enough there was a huge nest under the gutter.

Jeff