1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JasonPC, Jun 9, 2000.

1. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

I'm cutting lawns at 3 inches once a week but I'm noticing that when I'm done cutting the lawns look all yellow now. When I take a clump of grass in my hand, some blades are all yellow, some green. What's going on? IS it the high rate of growth from all the rain and could I be cutting into the root system? I can't cut any higher or I won't be able to keep up. We have about 60 lawn accounts. I'm putting on round 2 of fert + spraying weed control next week. Do you guys have any suggestions or hypotheses about what's going on or what I could do? Thanks!
  2. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention I'm in Massachusetts! That might help. :)<br>
  3. TheLawnRanger

TheLawnRanger LawnSite Member

yep i get that too. iam at 3&quot; and it looks<br>brown too. dont know what to do?<p>chem. lawn treats it they might of sprayed to much on? who knows.gl<br>
  4. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

It's just so frustrating! I haven't done a fertilization application since April. Plan on doing it again next week. Not sure if it will help or hurt. Any opinions? I wish I knew what's going on.
  5. steven Bousquet

steven Bousquet LawnSite Member

could be a number of things,fungus,hunger when was the last time you did a soil test on these lawns? are you using organics at all or just sulfercoat fert? you might want to try building up reserves in the soil with organic lawn foods.this should help.
  6. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

try adding some Iron to your next fert. app.<br>cou;d be grass is out growing nitrogen also,use more slow release type.
  7. richard2

richard2 Banned

you have a lawn service and need to ask questions like that? www.rootsinc.com
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Jason, it doesnt matter how much water or fertilizer, certain types of grass will go dormant during the summer. I think this is what you are beginning to see-I see the same thing every year and Im 100 miles south of you. <p>Bill
  9. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

Richard2,<p>If you know so much, why not answer the question?<p>Thanks to all others that replied. I'll be applying round 2 this coming week. Hopefully that will help.
  10. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I believe Dennis is 100% right,be sure and get a real slow release