yellow nutsedge already

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jun 5, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

In the Midwest, it was an extended winter followed by a late spring, but........10 days ago, crabgrass had emerged in some KBG lawns (much earlier than normal). Now we're starting to see nutsedge already:confused: A weird year so far. These recent heavy rains have helped produce an abundance of new weeds during the past 2 or 3 weeks.

Nutsedge here is still only 3 or 4 inches tall here (just getting started).

Anybody spraying yellow nutsedge yet? What product do you use? (we use Q4 with fine results) rscvp, thanks.

2. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

haha, we posted about sedge at almost exactly the same time. I'm spot spraying sedgehammer, myself. And, it has been up and going crazy here for several weeks.

3. americanlawn

from midwest

I know you are about a month ahead of us (growing season), and I was very surprised to see it in the Des Moines, IA area so soon. It was along a driveway in full sun where the teenage daughter kept driving on the lawn.:laugh:

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Nutsedge here too...

And last weekend I saw sod webworm adults flying around at dusk in our own yard, no doubt dropping eggs everywhere.

That's just about unheard of for the 1st week of June...around Cincy.

...gotta be the dreaded :laugh::laugh::laugh: " global warming " :laugh::laugh::laugh: at work !!

Oops !
    Sorry !
    Forgot that "G.W." is just a leftist U.N. global conspiracy to force the world's rich to 'share' with the poor........" or else " .
    :dizzy:

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

This is odd--I think we had some nutsedge actually winter-over here. Weedy vacant lot. Perhaps it had deep snow, (which perhaps insulated it). New nutsedge is only about an inch or two tall. I will use Sedgehammer later on.

Crabgrass rare, about an inch tall at maximum.

6. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Nutsedge here too, small amounts of crabgrass. I haven't sprayed anything yet. We use sedgehammer. I noticed Q4 is for supression only on nutsedge.

7. americanlawn

from midwest

Yep -- and a few lawns here have already had cutworm damage (no sign of adults flying, but samples/damage confirmed it). Saw a very few adult sod webworms moths this week, but usually no big deal unless we're in drought conditions. Mother Nature is a weird girl for sure.:laugh:

8. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

It's important to mention that Centipede and St. Augustine will not tolerate Q4. I did all of those tests last year usuing Sedgehammer, Vantage and Dismiss. Sedgehammer worked OK but required two applications or more, Vantage worked similiar but Dismiss began to work quickly and could have just controlled with one application but I did two a month apart. This year I'm following up with an application of Dismiss eventhough there is very little nutsedge or green kylinga.

9. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

american,
    just curious on the Q4,
    do you run it in ride ons,
    or just spot treat with it,

been curious about it, as it is labelled for so many
    common and invasive weeds, but wonder if its a hot mix
    thanks

10. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if dismiss has the same synergistic effect as it does in the echelon formulation, but i know of a golf course that started spraying it about a month before nutsedge emergence. (here that's about april) He had good pre-emergent results on his collars. The echelon form is barricade and dismiss in a granular. Both apart only have pre-emergent capability but together...you get post emergent on crab. Not sure if the dismiss reacts with the dimension he used or what. Point is, i guess, you never know how the chemicals will work together and get different results. Dismiss is expensive but well worth the price imo.