1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow Nutsedge and Crabgrass Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bruces10, Aug 15, 2009.

1. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

i would love to see some tests done with
    with the 3 available products(msma, sulfentrazone, sedgehammer)
    for control of nutsedge

i would like to see 3 test plots loaded with NS
    treated with one of each product for maybe 2-3 applications
    and see which plots have regrowth of NS after a week, month , year

i have doubts that any of these products can really completely kill the underground

any 1 know of any university studies done or likewise?
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know about any studies but Sedgehammer spot spraying has been great for me. I can spray it before or after mowing and the next week, it's yellow and dead.
  3. im not legally allowed to spray, but im having big problems with nutsedge and crabgrass this year. i cant stand these 2. nutsedge doesn't bother me as much as crabgrass though.
  4. Volman

Volman LawnSite Member
    from West Tn

I've had hit & miss with MSMA on sedge. Morethis year than i've ever seen. My best control is 2 apps 2weeks apart with 48oz/ acre MSMA & good surfactant. The only problem with this is that i don't like to to go back to re-treat just 1 or 2 yards.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I had good luck with Sedgehammer with silicone wetting agent last month--went back today--nutsedge was gone.

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Tried using Momentum F/X this year as in a hadheld sprayer for Nutsedge.
    Great results!... just have to make sure you spray both sides of the leaf, and use sticker.
    Much cheaper than sedgehammer and yes it does kill it and quickly.
  7. Jaspell

Jaspell LawnSite Member

What are you using as a surfactant with the Sedgehammer? That stuff is awfully pricey. I wat to make sure it sticks.
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hawkeye from Lesco is good--but--costs $49 for a half gallon. So use a ordinary spreader sticker(any non-ionic surfactant). Or for small batches, dish detergent.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I'm surprised 2 pages and no one has brought up reading the label.

If Sedgehammer is Manage you are very limited to how much you can apply in a years time, as I recall you are only supposed to apply once every 6 weeks. No more than 4 applications per year.
  10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member