Yellow / Orange dust on shoes, in air when grass is cut.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LwnmwrMan22, Sep 9, 2007.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

There are a couple of lawns where it looks like the blades have rust on them. These are different yards, with different sources of irrigation, whether it be city water or well water.

When you walk through the grass, there's a "dust" on your shoes.

When you mow or trim, it flies into the air.

Any help??

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

it's called rust. It's a fungus. The lawn will recover, don't lose sleep over it.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I second that! rust may be from low nitrogen levels but will cause no damage.

4. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If the lawn's in really bad shape to begin with, it might take a little bit out, but usually nothing to worry about. If they insist you fix it, Bayleton and fertilizer. I'd check your pH too. Most of the lawns I saw rust on had low pH's which tid up the nutrients up in the soil. Aerating wouldn't hurt either.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I'll bet dollars to donuts it's ryegrass :nono: that's full of rust. Ohio State has very good research regarding rust and the "bad turf" (ryegrass) that allows it to ocurr.

While some of my friends at Iowa State like a ryegrass/Kentucky bluegrass blend, I kindly disagree, cuz I've seen too many thouisands of lawns with rust over the past decades, and the main culprit tends to be "ryegrass cultivars".

We have applied "Roundup" (customers' requests) to kill out many ryegrass lawns just because of this problem that homeowners disdain. Then they re-seed with Kentucky bluegrass and happy eversince.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Rust is everywhere--but it is a fall disease. Disappeaars about the time of frost. Sometimes bluegrass, but worse on perennial rye. Best treatment is a heavy shot of fertilizer, followed by plenty of water.

Rust disease is especially severe on newly seeded rye. Second year not so bad.

The better quality ryegrasses are rust resistant, but it is hard to figure out which seed is resistant to rust without planting it.

Does anybody have a list of rust-resistant ryegrass cultivars? Rust resistant bluegrass list? Types that should be avoided?