1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow page ad is cranking

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gr grass n Hi tides, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

My phone is starting to ring like a madman from the yellow page ad:blob3:

I've read threads in the past saying a yellow page ad is not a productive way to advertise, so I wanted to post this to offer some positive feedback to those considering advertising this way. Of course, I realize it may depend on everyone's partiular market/area.

One yearly mow contract and my ad has paid for itself. Everything else is gravy.

My telephone answering machine asks the caller "to specify what type of service you are interested in.....and the location of your property", which works great. Most folks do leave a detailed message so before I return the call I have a good idea if it's desireable or not.
  2. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Thats great.... I'm finding that keeping my name in the paper pays for itself over and over again.
  3. noclevername

noclevername LawnSite Member

Unfortunately in our area it's very competitive, there's about 18-20 pages of landscapers in our Yellow Pages so you tend to get a lot of people just shopping for price and a business card size ad is about $ 350.00 per month (that's only one color) and we would have to put our ad in three different books to cover our area, you also have to contend with the bigger companies that have full page multi-color ads.
    We get almost all of our work from references through existing customers/clients.
    I'm glad it seems to work for you though!
  4. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

5. Gr grass n Hi tides

I'll have to type it in here for you because I don't have a scanner that works. The field we see our posts in as we type them, I'm not sure if I can center it here in order for it to appear centered in the thread, so I'll start the text at the left margin & attempt to center it there. We'll see how it flies.

Because the yellow page advertising deadline arrived quickly, I actually had to place my order before I had all of my equipment purchased so it is very simple. This ad is 5 in. wide and 2 in. tall. Here is the wording/layout:

Commercial & Residential Services
    Mowing * Edging * Seeding * Mulching
    Fertilization * Aeration * Ornamentals
    Turf Maintenance Programs

Owner Operated * Free Estimates
    Satisfaction Guaranteed

Licensed (XXX) XXX-XXXX Insured
  6. Gr grass n Hi tides

Well, I can't get text to center in the viewable area here for threads, but all of the text is center justified under the company name.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I too have had great results from the yellow pages ad...well without a doubt do it again next year
  8. Gr grass n Hi tides

Good deal! I really like that the ad is out there working for me & I don't have to do any leg work such as door hangers - although they are very effective, I've had good success with them.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

My 2x3 inch yellow page ad costs me about $450 a month, but its well worth it. I got alot of customers from flyers when i first started out, but at this time the yellow pages are the way to go for me. Get alot more commercial accounts this way also.
  10. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I was wondering how many callse you guys get off of these ads and what size? week/month
    And if any of you do advertising on the internet yellow pages?

Thanks Jason