Yellow Page Ad

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by oakwood, Jun 8, 2005.

1. oakwood

oakwood LawnSite Member

How many of you guys did or didn't advertise in YP your first year in business. Did you have good response or was it a waste.m Thanks

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I never have. Its a ripoff. Try advertising in your local church newspaper.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have made enough in one mowing to pay the ad cost for the year. I don't get alot of calls but I have had several accounts that turned out to be good ones. Don't buy the most expensive add, just a basic add and try it for a year. What would you have to loose exept a few dollars.

4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never used the yellow pages. I just put a small week long add in the "Services" section in the classifieds of the local paper. Seemed to work fairly well. I picked up 3 good accoutns from it. Not bad for $60.

5. AaronO

AaronO LawnSite Member

Yellow page advertisements can be a tremendous asset to your business or they can be one of the most expensive mistakes you’ll ever make. It’s also hard to get the truth from some yellow page advertising because rate structures are complicated; the market research they quote to you will only contain information that the Yellow Pages wants quoted.

Be very careful about setting up your ad. If you make a mistake, its not like you can change it. And you are stuck with the ad for a year.

6. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

If your only doing mowing, I'd advise against it. If you offer other services such as chemical apps, landscaping, Sod installs etc., then it is a valuable advertising tool. I'm running in both local Ph. Books this year.

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I put one in this year, I wanted something out there for incase customers forget my number or loose my card and I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it in all the houses in the area. It was 150 for the year for a pretty big add, some special they had going. I couldn't pass for that cheap.

8. dmc337

dmc337 LawnSite Member

Excellent response. It's the only place I advertise my website right now and I get at least 5 hits a day and have also gained a significant amount of business from it.

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

THe yellow pages are my number 1 source of advertising, and despite trying different methods each year, the phone book always produces for me and always gets me new customers. I can't say that about any other method, especially the newspaper.

:D

10. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

My Dad sold advertising for SW Bell Yellow Pages and then went onto Directory Manager for all of SW Bell. Yellow Pages were drilled into me. What the sales people never tell you is that the best money spent is on a standard one inch ad or the free listing. Nothing else. Dad always told me not to waste my money on anything else. Know what. It works. After 42 years I think he might have know what he was talking about.

Just my 2 cents.