1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow page ad

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Nathan 281, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Nathan 281

Nathan 281 LawnSite Member
    from MN

Regular Black and yellow in line ad $60 a month

Black and one color on a white back ground in line ad $87 a month

Display ad color and graphics $120 a month

all ads the same size. Which would you go with will the extra features bring more calls
  2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I went from a 1.5 by 1.5 inch inline ad @ $200 a month for 2 of them , to a 2/3 page ad for $400 a month .
    It has paid for it's self 2 or three times over and it's been out since the firsh of May .
    Next year it will already out when the season starts , then I'll be hoping
  3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like for those responding to this thread to also give an idea of how big the landscaping contractor section is in your area. I'm considering yellowpages also, but without a $$$$ ad, it would get lost.
    How many phonebooks are running in your area?
  4. ArizPestWeed

All I do is what you see.
    There are now only 2 companies before me .
    Terminix and T Nolan .
    The other 8 or so companies are afdter me .
  5. ArizPestWeed

Hey General Land .
    Just do an ad with another phone number and if it don't work out , cancel the ad and you wont lose your other phones numbers
    They can debit your account each month .
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi Nathan 281,

The response LCOs get from yellow pages seems to vary wildly depending on many factors. I would first suggest go with what you can afford. If it works, make it better and or bigger next year.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

This will be our first year in the YP's im interested to see what the results are. I have one bold listing and looking into a column add.
  8. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

Personally I think the in line ad will help your existing customers or word of mouth customers find your phone # in case they misplaced it, or someone recommended you but didn't have the # and said just look him up he's in the Yellow pages.

The bigger add is going to be at the top of the page and standing out with all your services listed which will draw attention to a new customer. These potential new clients will be looking to see who provides a service their looking for at a glance and will not want to call around to see if you do provide the service their looking for. The bigger add will provide you with a higher call rate for new work.

The bigger ads are also placed on the top by size and by seniority.

It will however ultimately come down to whats in your budget.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

You have made up your mind to do it and are just considering which choice to make at this point, correct? If so, then a display/color ad is $60 a month extra. Thats $720 a year. You could make that up pretty easy. I would go with the display/color. I would be extatic with those prices.
  10. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I sold yellow page ads here in the Denver metro area and I also advertised in the yellow pages this year so I have an idea of how well it works. First off I would never sell or invest any money in a bold or highlighted listing, think of your yellow page ad as a resume for potential employers. All a listing tells your potential employer is your business name and number, not why they should call your company. The guys in the book with the larger ads pay much more for them because the get a much larger RETURN, most people wont pay for any form of advertising that doesnt work.

Invest more money in an ad with color, most shoppers only look at 3-4 ads before they make a phone call or buying decision so if you dont get there attention right away it's a lost cause. As for the copy in your ad, do not make you company name the focus point, when your potential employers are looking in the yellow pages close to 85% of them do not have a company in mind. So your company doesnt mean much to them(Different type of advertising). Create an ad that is pleasing to look at, eye grabbing and details the area of town, service provided, call to action (call today etc...).

sorry for the long reply. I still have a lot of info/numbers that I took from work if you would like me to email you. Good luck!

Oh yeah, and answer you phone when it rings!!!!!! Voicemail is NOT a good salesperson