1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow page add ( PIC ) give your thought

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by scagman, Oct 17, 2002.

1. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Give me your brief reply on what you think this will say to customers.

2. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

Have you checked the prices on colored pics?? An ad for a picture that size(where you will be able to tell what it is) will be expensive. .02
  3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Dont laugh, but my first impression was the guy on the left just bought a truck and trailer from the guy on the right.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty good pic! Is that you? O.k.. Let's analyze. First, their is some language going on there, that isn't even obviously noted. The body language for instance. This serviceman, (whoever he is) if you'll notice, he is bent over (rather awkwardly) to shake this guys hand. This can be a good thing! Here's why. This shows that this person is willing to go somewhat out of his way to accomodate this customer. (Imagine if it were the other way around - with the customer having to reach over so far. What would THIS say.) (I guess they COULD be a little closer) The color of the grass is nice. However, I'm not real sure THAT will show up with their selection of inks! The rig looks pro, and the uniform type scene certainly ads to it. It would be better if you had a visible smile on the customer's face. THAT would seal the deal! All in all though, I think it looks good. Not too lavish of a home, not too cheap.;) What do you do? Is it mainly maintenance? If this is the case, I feel that you would be making a grave mistake in taking out a yp ad. Besides the cost factor, there are aLOT of other downfalls if you are doing mostly maintenance. Since this is on a clientele basis, (that you are wanting to tighten a loop around your headquarters) you really don't NEED that many calls coming in constantly. Now, if you were doing something like just installations, or irrigation syatems, where you do them once and you're done, THEN I could see the feasibility. BUT, your PLATE IS FULL COME MID-SEASON! Then you get calls from all over a 100 mile radius if people asking "How much do you charge to mow a lawn?" "Oh, you have to SEE it? Well, can you drive out here 30 miles to give me a quote?" THIS is exactly what you'll get. A whole lot of "tirekickers" for $2500 or however much the ad costs. In your case, probably more like $6000.00 with the fancy fancy picture. Anyway, do a search, and you'll find plenty of horror stories about yp ads in here.
  5. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

first impression was good, but maybe you should be standing in front of some grass, possibly have some signage on your truck. zoom on that instead of the long distance shot of the house. just my thoughts.. :p
  6. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Guys, This picture is sized to fit the thread. In the pages it is real close and highly visible, you are able to see both handles on scags, sthil trimmers on the rack, br420 on the top and most importantly the two people. Im on the right in uniform and Richard (the guys had 3 back surgerys, thats why hes hunched) on the left. Hes smilin and im smilin. As for the signs for the truck, my yellow page guy is able to paste a nice lookin sign on it with our logo.
  7. All things aside I will take runners side and keep it simple.

The hand shaking part makes it seem like you want to please others.

Simple straight fwd. good pic.

Let us know how the real customers react.
  8. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Is it at all possible for you to mow some really nice grass, then park your truck and trailer on it? We did that, looks awesome.
    I like the pic, but I think you need some grass in it. Thats what your cutting after all.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :blob3:
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I'm Working on something For you. I'll have It About 5Or 6 tonight. You Might Like It . It's what i use. It get's the good accounts Not the cheape's.
  10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

It is a pretty photo, but will likely cost somewhere around a billion dollars, at least in my area.

For me, information is the most important, ie. listing the services you provide and such. Can't tell what you plan there.

I have had good response from a nice yp add, and I have had next to none. If it is not on the first page of listing, especially if the lawncare section starts on the right page, you are done. I believe most folks never turn the page, or if they call for estimates, and they are looking for quality companies, they will likely only call the top 3 or so for bids. My add this year maybe got half a dozen calls, and I actually have picked up 1 account with a nice size add.

YP adds, if you spend the big bucks may land you the big accounts, but more likely will land you with alot of people calling guys for the cheapest price.

Go big and take the risk, or go home and spend you money on other forms of advertizing.

Take care