1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

yellow page ads

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by trophytkr, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotta love those calls. ROTFLMAO:blob3:
  2. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

After reading LS and hemming and hawing for months I decided to go big in Yellow Pages for 2002.

Three books that came out/coming out in December 2001 , February 2002 and April 2002 totalling over $7k.

I'll have more to say on the topic in 6 months...

3. First things first...real good info if you do a search. I hate it when people tell me that too but it's true

The YP depend on your business. I gave up last year trying to get installations (sprinkler) from the YP and targeted only repair clients. I went from 1/4 page (approx) to an in column ad using red and being 2nd in line. The YP came out 2 months ago and I have already done more in business in these 2 months than all of last year with the bigger ad.

The kicker......we are now in 3 books instead of 1 for almost the exact same price.
  4. morning dew

morning dew LawnSite Member

I am talking with a YP rep. right now and I am confused of where and how big I plan to put the ad.

We install retaining walls, waterfeatures, sod and also maintenance, so I am battling with which heading do I put this expensive ad? Landscape contractors or Lawn Maintenance?

I am also considering direct mailers this Spring. I have been advertising in the small phone books for several years now but I want to really go for it in a bigger way. I've got alot of ads(cash) getting ready to hit the area and I really hope it pays off.

Any suggestions?

5. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

morning dew,
    You should probably have your main ad under Landscape Contractors as you can justify larger ads with that line of income.

The rep will probably offer you an additional spot under Lawn Maintenance as well. Don't be afraid to ask, these guys are very flexible especially if you are a first time advertiser with them.