Yellow Page Ads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Acres, Oct 9, 2000.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering what everyone thought about yellow page ads? The good and the bad. Also has anyone had any success with them? What do you think in your mind works and don't work? Thanks

2. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a few local yellow page ads. They have been very successful for me. People say that yellow page ads are not the way to go for advertising, I disagree. Although they are a little pricy, they pay for themselves.

3. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

They can be worth there weight in gold if you apply your add right, make it stand out from others. A good amount of people look in yellow pages for a typical service, dealership ect. So yes run a add and try not to blend in with everone elses add.

4. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

They are a little expensive. They did help me out in the beginning ( big ger ad) now I just have my name listed for next year.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I just could never see the justification of running a yp ad. Since most (VAST majority) of my business is clientele based-repeat customers anyway, there's never any need - our work is our biggest advertisement. As it is, I already give ridiculously high qoutes sometimes and STILL get accepted!Now, if we were doing something like just installations, or just sprinklers, or something like that, that is a one time deal, then I could see it. But if I want more commercial work, then I go out and bid it. If I want more residential work, then I target an area. But if I want my phone ringing off the hook everyday with people asking me questions like; "How much do you charge to mow a lawn?" then I'll run a yellow pages ad.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Runner,

I agree 100%. I have not advertised in over 12 years. I have a list of people that I decline every year that is getting longer and longer. If we were in the driveway sealing, or painting, or patios/walks, that would be a different story. If you still need to advertise, how about getting flyers printed up and go around to doors and putting them on the handles. Don't hang on mailboxes, its illegal! Word of mouth should take off quickly unless you do a bad job. With yellow pages, you get the el'cheapo's not the quality jobs. Plus, my yellow pages circulate where I'd never consider driving to. My max. distance is 3 miles.

Good Luck

7. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

I agree with both Dixie and Runner. Why spend a wack load of money advertising to areas that you don't want to work in? I ran a YP add my first year, and now I just have the standard 'free' listing. Word of mouth and flyers works for me.

Alan

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I have an ad in the "Community Phone Book". It's the red book that goes to specific areas. Very good response but will not do again.

Can't help but to repeat what I heard at a local meeting "For every $100 you spend you have to make $1000". If the ad cost you $500 a month, you must gain $5000 in business just to break even!

If you can handle that much growth and expense then go for it, if not canvas local neighborhoods with good fliers.

Ray

9. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have got a lot of good business from my ads. I keep them in areas I work in and thats it. If they call and I don't want them, I tell them to call someone else.

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I run an ad in the yellow pages and am glad I did. I have increased my biz by at least 50% since it started running last year. The ad cost me $300.00 per month last year because I used a lot of page but now it's $13.70 per month since the new books came out and I still get calls. The difference is now I can pick and choose what I want to do and then I needed the work. For $13.70 per month I think it's the best form of advertising out there, flyers. local T.V ads, and everything else I tried wans't effective. Word of mouth worked but not fast enough when you need to secure those annual accounts before winter! I would caution against going high dollar, as long as your in there I think you'll still get a call cause people are going to shop around. You may not win every bidding battle but you can sure find out a lot about your competition! Bottom line is you get the chance to bid where you wouldn't if they did'nt see ya back there.

Homer