1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow Page biggot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ilovethisgame, Jan 8, 2003.

1. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

So, as I'm having my yellow page ad proofread I'm told "I don't think we can print this" It's seems that putting English speaking as part of my ad maybe deemed racist (sp?) I politely explianed to her I'm in a business where 99% of my clients speak english and 75% of my competition does not. BTW the reason I had this idea was most of the sales calls I go on I'm told how great it is to finally deal with someone that speaks english. I was told they'll get back to me tomorrow and let me know. I'd love some feedback. Remember I'm in CA where english is becoming our second language.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Thats a good idea, and there are ways to get around it. ie " Third Generation American" under you name.
  3. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

How about United States citizen.
  4. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Talk about political correctness run amok, now it's considered racist to declare that you can actually speak the Offical Language of our country. If that's what it's like in California the sooner the big quake causes that state to fall into the ocean, the better off the rest of us will be. I would seriously consider moving to a better state, soon.
  5. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I may be wrong (I often am), but I do believe that the USA has no "official" language.....
  6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Thats the problem...
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

This sounds like a good idea. Also, if true, you might print"owner on all job sites".
  8. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

U.S.A Born and Bred! When my family immigrated to this country in the early 1900’s they had to learn English as part of the citizenship test. No I’m not a racist but I do know that when I go out and someone waiting on me that can’t speak the language is quite irritating. No there is no official language of the United States, but at least I can communicate with my customers!

I’m not going to get into a pissing contest over this but the day the phone company started printing the phone book in three different languages I knew I was becoming the minority. The U.S.A. is one great melting pot as our ancestors realized along time ago. That’s what makes America a great country. Lot’s of opportunity for all.

Dave, make it clear you are providing a service to the community and you want them to know that you speak the native tong. I also see in the phone book Se Habla Espanola"-spelling"
    I guess it’s only racist if you are an American…
  9. gslam88

gslam88 LawnSite Member

Lee I have to agree with John Allin, UNFORTUNATELY "American" (so that I am pc)is not the official language and so that we must spend millions of dollars in printing many things in multiple languages!!!

there is a way to save some money... but that is a whole other thread!!

I have no problem stating that I speak English....

English Speaking American Italian!

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member