1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow Pages Ad

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Meier, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I'm new to this business. Right now, I'm doing mowing, edging, shrub trimming, bed work and lawn weed/feed. As of today, I have 5 customers signed up for weekly mowing. All of them took the weed/feed. I've noticed that many prospects will haggle on price over mowing, but not one has flinched on weed/feed pricing. And I'm not cheap. I'm getting minimum of $32 for 1st 5,000 sq ft and $4 per 1,000 sq ft after that. May be kinda low, but it's not 'cheap'.

Because of the licensing requirement, I'm thinking that eventually I might try to focus on the weed/feed only.

I've got a 1/3 page ad coming out in the yellow pages this September. It's not with the phone company, Verizon, but rather with one of those independent directory companies.

I just don't have any clue what to expect. I'm thinking of advertising only weed/feed (no mowing) in the yellow pages, but I really don't have any idea what to expect.

If I were to get tons of calls, I'd want to only advertise weed/feed. However, if I'm only going to get a handful of calls each month, I'd prefer to advertise everything I do.

Anyone have any experience with the independent yellow pages companies? (For the record, I refuse to advertise with Verizon...they burned their bridge with me all the way to the ground.)

DFW, TX
  2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

we have no experience with an independent yellow page ad.

all advertising is pretty much a roll of the dice.

i'd suggest advertising 'full service'- wouldnt that give you a greater chance of keeping the phone ringing?

maybe something like:
    We offer full service, specializing in fertilization and weed control

anyway, good luck
  3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I advertised Lawn & Turf Renovation in big and bold print to push that end of the biz, but I also had full service landscaping in the add as well for my yellow page add. What happened with Verizon out of curiousity, they seemed tough to deal with each time I went with them too.