1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow pages advertising. Any experience?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by seacoastlandscape, Oct 1, 2010.

1. seacoastlandscape

seacoastlandscape LawnSite Member

I was approached the other day by a representative that provided me with some info on advertising bundles that the yellow pages offer. I have never advertised before and do not have a website. I have never found the need for targeting new business but as times have changed I am really starting to consider it. Does anyone have any experience working with them as well as how capable they are of creating a quality website? Their prices just to develop a 5-10 page website is far less then any other company I have called, so I am allitle conserned of the quality of work etc.
  2. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

I have advertised with yellowbook for 5 years. All I ever got was "tire kickers" and people looking for multiple bids to ultimately choose the low bidder.
    I'm going strictly direct mail this year and of course my website. I had a local graphic artist build one for less than a grand.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

When the economy is doing great I could justify the $5000 I spent on the AT&T yellow pages for my landscape ad. One or two jobs and the ad was paid for. But now with economy being down it's been two years since it would be a good deal to advertise. I've never seen even one year when a maintenance ad had good returns.

Compare Printmailpro.com to other direct mail places and you may find they have the best prices. I'm lucky that their office is here in Austin close to my place.
  4. johnroscoe

johnroscoe LawnSite Member

The Yellow Pages was awesome- in 1988.

Craigslist, local paper ads, word of mouth, anything is better than the yellow pages now!
  5. RoyalTree

RoyalTree LawnSite Member

Not worth it.

We spent big bucks last year with att. We did get alot of business but not what we wanted for the kind of money that we spent.

We have advertised with them for years but always small before this year. When it comes to yp it is go big or dont bother. Small ads will bring you next to nothing but the big ads will bring tire kickers galore, expect to have a sales person.

We spent about 2k per month.
  6. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

Man they work great here, that's how I got my start. This year I thought I didn't need to advertise because the state of the economy. That was dumb! Calls have been down all my new customers found me in the old book. In my opinion they are well worth it, but you have to spend the money, them small 1/4 page ads are worthleSs. That's my experience at least.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

it may not be what it used to be but I think its a good idea to still be there. For an established business maybe just a bold listing.
  8. memphis.landscape

memphis.landscape LawnSite Member

Worst move I ever made. I did a pay per call deal they have and ended up getting charged at least $3,000 for people looking for jobs. And their customer service sucked.
  9. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

With the internet, and other methods of advertising, the book is a dinosaur. Use that money for direct mail, newspaper, etc.
  10. METRO FS

METRO FS LawnSite Member

A good portion of my business comes from the Yellow Pages. Most of my customers say they found me in the phonebook vs the web. I get a lot of web traffic and online submissions but I consider my web site an "informative online brochure" and the YP ads always provide this website info as well. I use the small block ads in multiple directories that quickly pay for themselves.