1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow Pages advertising?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by AllStarLawnCare, Dec 4, 2004.

1. AllStarLawnCare

AllStarLawnCare LawnSite Member

For those of you who advertise in the business directory of your local phone book, how much business does this generate for you?

It would help to know what size ad you are placing and how much you paid for it.
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

First year went with small add, just black ink. I don't remember the cost, but not much luck with it. Next year went with one close to business card size, full color....$1528 a year and not much luck. I let the phone book company design it and it looked like crap, but I was already past the deadline, so I went with it. This year scaled back down to around 1" or 2" add, black print and it cost $500 for the year. I really had considered going with a 1/2 page add only because it would have been the largest in it's category, but this would have been my entire advertising budget and would have had to rely on this alone for all new business. Instead, going to send out 25,flyers, 5000 doorhangers and 1000 postcards for near the same price.

I would save your money and spend it more wisely than the yellowpages. Make it a small ad just to get your name out there. Get your truck lettered also.
  3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

My Dad retired from Southwestern Bell after 42 years. He was the Vice President of Yellow Page Directory. He always told me that the best money was spending it on a 1 inch ad. He made me promise not to ever buy a display ad. He started in St Louis as a yellow page salesman and worked his was up the corp ladder. I have always held to that promise.

Just my 2 cents worth.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have i think a business card size ad. It generates almost more than we can handle. What you get depends on your area I think.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

it ganerates 60% of all business for me. all i had was a business card szie ad in full color . i paid $600 for the whole year
  6. AllStarLawnCare

AllStarLawnCare LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the real life experience guys.
  7. Matt0963

Matt0963 LawnSite Member

I have a 3x5 full color ad. Its about $6720.00 for the year. It generates some business but not near enough to justify the expense. I agree with coastalgreenscapes, just go with a 1" in-column ad just so people can find you. Then spend the money you saved on mailouts, doorhangers, fliers etc. This way you can target your customers a lot better.
  8. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Last years ad generated just enough to pay for itself. Next year I will up it from an 1/8 page color, to a dollar bill size black and white. Price difference of about $500. I guess we'll see.
  9. Matt0963

Matt0963 LawnSite Member

if your ad generates just enough to pay for itself then it doesnt do any good. Its like working for nothing. I would rather sit at home than work just to pay for an ad. But you can do what you want. Thats just my opinion.