Yellow Page's No Good

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Rollacosta, May 3, 2005.

1. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

This year i thought i would give lawn care prefferably commercial work a try. My service's would have included grass cutting, spraying fert, scarifying, hollow tine aeration etc etc.

Anyway i put a big expensive ad in the yellow page's and guess what so far i have only had three or four enquiry's. Luckily i'm still running my tree service company ,so i am getting work.

Look's like the old yellow page's is a load of rubbish :angry:

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I don't have a yellow page add. I probably never will, becasue there are about 75-100 lawn care contractors listed, not to mention the cost of an add.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Best way to get commercial accounts is to go door to door.

Most already have someone doing the work and will wait for bids to come to them.

4. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

I put an ad in the "Professional Services" area of our local paper. Not the same as yellow pages but similar results...I ran it for 2 months for $250.00 and got 3 calls.....

Call number 1 : "Hi, this is xxxx from Farmers Insurance, do you need workers
    comp, health or life insurance?" :mad:
    Call Number 2 : "Hi, i'm calling to see if you need any crew members." :angry:
    Call Number 3 : "Hi, i'm from Yellow book....do you want to buy an ad?" :realmad:

Keep your money folks!! Thier stuff is worthless!! Word of mouth, quality work and door hanger type stuff is way better than yellow pages.

I actually tried to turn one call into a sales call. I told the yellow book (they are local sales people in our area) lady that I would buy thier ad if she signed up for a years lawn service and got one of her co-workers to do the same. Of course this threw her for a loop and she went silent for about 7 seconds.....she didn't say it but her silence did THATS NOT IN THE SCRIPT!! I DON"T HAVE A SCRIPTED ANSWER!! OH MY GOD WHAT AM I GOING TO SAY???

She said " I don't need lawn service...." I said " I don't need yellow book..."

BUH BYE!!!

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I wanted to toss a small add in the yb just to have the name in there all year, I know a few businesses around here that pick people up all year just from the yb. This woman from the yb kept calling and calling saying she'd even come over to sit down and set the add up (she wanted me) and i said i didn't need it yet, said i needed it end of april. Well now she isnt calling, wtf! It was like $100 for the year for an add that is 2" wide and 3 or 4" long, not too bad of a price i thought just to have it in there.

6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 adds in the yellow pages 1 J&R Lawn service 4-6 calls a month second add J&R Old coins 3-6 calls a day.

7. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I've been getting three or four calls like that every day since I incorporated. Mostly, it is people who want me to use their service to accept credit cards. Funny, they all want me to sign up over the phone. Very few of them will actually mail me any info with their rates.

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Win a Free Book 'Start & Run A Landscape Business' and Business Consulting Services Here </font></marquee>

Hi Rollacosta,

Yellow pages should just be a part of your entire marketing campaign. Have you considered contacting your current customer base by mail to let them know you are now offering new services?