yellow pages vs yellow book

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Cutters Lawn Care, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone got a better return using either one of these books. both of these come out at about the same time in my area. I know i always throw one in the trash. Just wondering if any of you have advertised in both at the same time and if so which had the best response.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Anyone who moves in at any time and signs up for phone service get the yellow pages. Yellow book comes once a yr and only to occupied homes. If your looking to do anything more yhan just mow buy an add in the yelow pages. the yellow books a waste of $$$

Mac

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Cutters Lawn Care,

If you have a moment, can you look in both books and see if there are LCOs placing commercial ads in each of them? That might give you an idea.

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Mr. dirt something iv noticed here is both the giants Brickmans and Trugreen are in the yellow book for my town with 19 landscapers I happen not to be in that book. Now the yellow pages there are 240 of us and both the big boys for whatever reason aren’t there.

I think if you want selection then you have to go yellow pages although I will probably put a bold type listing in the yellow book I wont be placing an ad I do think it may not be a bad idea to be there if some one is looking for you who saw your truck in their neighborhood.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

First quit with the Mr. its Mac I was assuming which I should not do, but I assumed he only had so much money to spend and in my opion I would spend it on the yellow pages for the reason I stated. I have had adds in both and I have had a much better responce from the yellow pages for installs, as far as mowing I'm not sure, I gotten calls from the yellow book but if I was on a limited budjet and HAD to choose 1 it would be the yellow pages.

Mac

6. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

I was in the yellow pages and the talking phone book; neither one gave me a big enough return on my money. If you sign up for the phone book you will tied into a year long contact. In my opinion the phone books are a waste of money.

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

First quit with the Mr. its Mac not a problem I didn’t want to take any liberties and call you by a first name with out your ok. So Mac it is and you can call me Matthew. Pleasure to meet ya

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

The phone book is my number one resource for new calls. The ad works for me, I don't have to work the ad. And I've done both the Yellow Pages and the rip-off imitation book. No One uses the rip off book. Never got calls. Not to mention they were not reliable and their distribution was spotty. I use the Yellow Pages still today, and will continue to use it. I get a ton of calls off my ad in there.

If you've got the money, it might not be a bad idea to put an ad in both. But if you are on a budget with advertising, I wouldn't bother with the imitation book.

:D

9. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys. About 75% of the lco's in my area advertise in both. I haven't advertised in either so far but plan on doing so this year. I was wondering which one gave a better bang for the buck. Looks like yellow pages so far. thanks