Yellow Pages. Went for it...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by chris brauch, Dec 10, 2013.

1. chris brauch

chris brauch LawnSite Member

After three years of them bugging me, I finally gave in. I signed a contract with Yellow Pages for 2014. I have heard the ups and downs, I know a lot more downs than ups. They found me a program within my budget, and I thought that I needed to take the risk because that's what being an entrepreneur is all about so I did it. The contract is $2,400. (199/month) for a nice ad in the main st.louis book and slight online exposure. What you guys think

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

My local weekly paper that has 40,000 + circulation charges me $16 a week for the year total of $832.

$2,400 will cover three years advertising. Or bigger sized ad, or advertise in a second newspaper as well.

When ever a yellow page, handy guide, gets dropped off at my driveway I throw it directly into my recycle pail. I need a number or to make a purchase I go straight to the internet.

Let us know how well it works out for you.

3. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your current client acquisition cost?

How many new clients are you anticipating your Yellow Pages ad to bring in?

How much new revenue are you anticipating your Yellow Page ad to generate over the next year?

Out of every dollar of revenue you collect, how many cents are allocated for your advertising budget?

How many dollars of revenue will you have to collect in order to cover the $2,400 you spent on your Yellow Pages ad?

If out of every dollar of revenue you collect you allocate $0.10 for advertising (10% of gross revenue), it will take you $24,000 of new revenue just to cover your costs of advertising in the Yellow Pages.

Yellow Pages hasn't been relevant in over 5 years.

Next year you might want to consider investing that $2400 on more relevant forms of advertising like internet advertising using Google AdWords.

Just because Yellow Pages delivers A LOT of books, it doesn't mean A LOT of people actually open them up and use them for something other than starting a fire in their fireplace.

In my opinion, advertising in the Yellow Pages isn't a way to "take the risk", that's a way to piss money away.

I hope it works for you…if it does, you should go out and buy a lottery ticket.

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious, if you've heard more downs than ups, why'd you move forward? What are your goals for the ad? What will you consider "decent" performance?

5. chris brauch

I currently run in three different papers in my service area all around 20/week as well. The paper ads are awesome and have shown outrageous returns on investment, however I was skeptical about the yellow pages so I literally just terminated the contract with them.

6. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i would have put that money towards a google adwords campaign as well. whenever i get the yellow pages on my doorstep they go directly to the trash as well. The only people i know that use it are older folks who aren't on the internet. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a total waste for you.

7. chris brauch

Those are great questions! I love the organization put into it and those are questions I should be answering each and every time I invest in a product or service. However, I have been through the ins and outs of advertising. I currently run my ads in three different newspapers in my service area, use facebook, craigslist, referral programs, google ad words, yahoo, bing, the list goes on. I am already advertising in many other ways, I just wanted to try yellow pages as one of the many forms of getting my name out there. However, after studying many reviews about the yellow pages, I just terminated my contract with them earlier this morning.

8. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Cancel it if you can. I did the same thing. I got 20 calls in 12 months and 19 were insurance salesman.

9. chris brauch

Obviously you guys are against yellow pages. Look, I understand most of you guys like google ad words. Internet has not worked well for me, I have had four times the return on investment in print ads such as newspapers (where mostly the older people will look). I was spending about 200/month on google alone, and was getting about two calls per month. With 200/month in different papers in the area, I was getting about 28 new yearly customers/month. Print ads have showed my business huge results. My target market is the upperclass, regardless of age. Even I don't use the yellow pages, however I am a 19 year old male business owner. I don't provide services for many 19 year old males, it's generally elderly, middle aged, middle class and upperclass folks. (people who are way more likely to open a yellow pages book) than I.

10. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

Mabee you should take a look at and work on your online presence? Are you ranking well on google? if your not being found on the first page it won't be very useful for you. I managed to rank well without spending much money at all (i haven't used google adwords yet or FB) and its been my best and cheapest form of advertising so far. I tried craigslist and it just never worked out well for me, but i wasn't so consistent with ad posting. I just wanted to bring up the internet thing for you because this is a good time to start working on that, i started working on mine around this time last year and by the spring it was paying off.