1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow pages: wich one? how many?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by General Landscaping, Feb 14, 2006.

1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Is yellow page advertising worthwhile for a small timer in a crowded market?
    There is a big selection of landscaping and lawn maintenance, some of them (5-6) are fairly "big dogs" with BIG color ads and several others that make a strong appearance with nice color ads. When I say "big dogs" it is not just from ad strength, they are the guys with a strong presence on the road too.

Which book to advertise in? I think there are 3 (maybe more) directories in my area.
    Pick one based on ??????
    Try to pepper all 3 with small ads?
    Spend money on other advertising?

$200 a month on one ad format is a pretty big pill to swallow right now.

As of now, it's a one man show; with plans to grow to a size that I can run the show instead of working in it.
  2. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

I know when I was working at Transwestern Publishing they would give you a free 2HS (1 inch ad, no graphics, just text). If you have Transwestern where you are at, setup an appointment with them. Act like you are not sure if you are interested and ask them if they will let you try it first. Assuming it works, next year you'll want to put a bigger ad in, right?

As for which book - try to spread yourself evenly in all of the books. Let me ask, when you use a phone book do you look for a particular one? I don't, I grab whichever one I can find. I think that's how a lot of people are. But then again, that's just me.

Good luck
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Im in two books the VERIZON book which is the main one and The YELLOW BOOK which is the second best one. The Mian book is always more expensive
  4. General Landscaping

Surely, each salesperson will tout their book as the best return on investment.
    Is there a source I can access to find out which one is really the real deal?
  5. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

General, I am not to far from you, in Lake Worth, I advertised in the Bell South with minimal results, a few tree calls, but I don't do large tree work. I also did the online listing. The ad, 2"-2/12" x 1" or something like that cost 213.00 a month in the West Palm book. From what I understand they don't work that well unless you have color. I am also solo and can not afford to advertise with them again for the results I got. I did pick up one maintenance account last week though, but in general not enough calls to justify the cost. There is a local newsletter booklet kind of thing here that I may advertise in, just a 25.00/ month ad in the back, only writing. I can not bring myself to spend big dollars on advertising again at this point and I figure if that one doesn't work no huge loss like the YP. Also, I made a website with the Yahoo Sitebuilder which is around 12.00 a month regularly but there is a discount for the first three months.
    I haven't figured out what works in our area but if you have any success please let me know, my service area does not extend that far so competition on this end is not an issue.
  6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Try the PennySaver, Trading Post, any of the free papers that are thrown at your doorstep. I spend $68/month with a result of aprox 20 calls a week. I also advertise in sprint yellow pages with aprox 1-3 calls a week. This varies per season. Good Luck!! I thought about advertising at the local strip clubs for hedge trimming AKA(Bush trimming but that's another story) JK Good Luck!!
  7. General Landscaping

Do you get a lot of "tire kickers" from the free papers?
  8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

I thought I would, but picked up 111 clients in 1 yr. Good Luck!! I even put my web address on thier it helps weed them out. I get a few people that email me from my website with address and phone # asking for an estimate at my leisure. Helps in not having to field the calls. Just check my email put in schedule as a drive by. If I want, I will call ASAP!! If not I usually kick thier tires. J/K Good Luck!!
  9. CutInEdge Lawn Care

The only free paper I use is the Pennysaver $68/month. It's been the best advertising believe it or not. Although most in the subdivisions probably dont read it as much as the homes on reg streets. I have only gotten maybe 2-5 bargain hunters in 1 yr.