Yellow Pages will definitely be renewed

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Mar 6, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

This is the first sunny, real nice day of the year here in the Dallas area. I am just swamped with people wanting estimates. I can barely keep up. The battery on my cell phone is dead and I'm home charging it right now, otherwise I'd still be out doing proposals. I decided today I'm advertising in all three of the local directories next year.

Who knows? I may actually end up making money in year two.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

YP helped me a lot, you should get a phone charger that plugs into your cigarette lighter couldnt live without mine.

3. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I heve been waiting for the new yellow books to get here. It has my new ad in it. They need to hurry up. Going to be near 75-80* this week.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to spend less time pursuing your alleged "tax evading" local business owners and get to the store to buy a cell phone charger for your vehicle. You'll make more money that way alone. :D

I'm sorry DFW, I just had to give you some crap about that one. Nothing personal. :)

5. Outdoor Services

Outdoor Services LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe even spring for an extra battery to with all that $ your going to be making..

6. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, but how many of those are you actually landing?

7. Master of the Lawn

Master of the Lawn Guest

What are you guys paying for these ads, and how big are they? Had any luck? Only thing i see wrong is that you will get calls from all over town. Any suggestions.

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi DFW Area Landscaper,

Congratulations on your advertising and thanks for sharing with us the positive response you found!

9. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

my ad is $163 a month credit card ad. i got 20 new customer last year.. i could of got more but i have a full time job also that's a hr and 10 minutes from my house.... it a credit card size ad.. works wonders.. i expect to talk 20 more customer this year.. i changed my work scheduled to be off on mondays and work the overnight shift on friday... should help a lot.. other days i work 5pm-2am... i had one helper last year that worked 60% of the time.

10. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Just thought I would post a follow up. I am not planning to do any more yellow pages advertising. Keeping the route tight and drive time low does not work out with yellow pages. Not only that, but I paid $1,822.00 for a third page ad with 2" anchor. Picked up 7 regular mowing customers. 3 of the 7 are in undesirable locations, but because the schedule isn't full, we'll keep them for a while.

The book was delivered in September of last year. Landed two accounts last year. This year, we've landed five more. Four of the five were landed during the spring rush.

I haven't gotten a call from the yellow pages in over a month. I think that's terrible for the middle of May.

Door hangers are the way to go. But the response from door hangers at this time of year is terrible too.

Next year, druing the spring rush period, I'll be turning down all the non-recurring work or trying to line it up for May 1st on. The door hangers were working like magic earlier this spring, but we weren't able to get any out because we were doing all the non-recurring work, like shrubs, beds, etc. HUGE mistake.

Later,
    DFW ARea