1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Yellow Pages will definitely be renewed

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Mar 6, 2004.

1. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

Walker-Talker- I ran a similar ad the last two years. It was very successful for me, but you are right, you will get calls from all over. The first thing I ask someone when they call is what part of town they live in. If it's not in my area, the conversation ends right there.

Next year, I'll mention the areas I work in, so as to be more selective with my ads.

2. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

What a difference a decade can make.

3. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Yeah crazy, I just put our add online on over 30 serch sites, I don't even have my name in the phone book anymore, never got anything but telemarkers and people looking for jobs. In our local yello book I think I only saw 1 landscape add in there this year.

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes what a difference. And it's nice to see I was already turning sour to the yellow pages 10 years ago. Don't follow the crowd if your experience is telling you something doesn't work listen to your gut. I was out that same year, I realized immediately how in ineffective it was. The best part was when they came to resign me and we told them no and they said no wonder it didn't work you didn't go big enough this time we should do a quarter page for 600 a month LOL

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

It worked some what for me, but I wished google had never got my number. I did drop it this year.

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

They were also talking about these cool new things that charge your PHONE IN YOUR CAR groundbreaking haha

7. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder if DFW Area Landscaper is still on lawnsite using an alias.

8. topturfhsv

topturfhsv LawnSite Member

I fell for the YP scam a few years back. The sleezy sales guy promised me tons of leads and was saying how other landscapers/mowing companies were swamped by using YP. I had a bad feeling and he was trying to lock me into a two year contract but luckily I negotiated an option to cancel after 6 months. I soon realized after 2-3 months that this was a very poor yet expensive decision and canceled after my 6 months was up. When I tried to cancel, I had to jump through a million hoops. I called my salesman and he said he didn't know how to cancel my account and that I would have to contact the main office. I finally got it cancelled after 3 weeks of calling everyday and talking with 8 different people. They make it super easy to sign up for but it is a nightmare to cancel. Now I just advertise using google adwords, eddm, and thumbtack every now and then.....and I'm doing all of this for half of what my YP ad was costing!!!!! :hammerhead: