Yellow Pages. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Remsen1, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm considering a Yellow Pages ad for next year, but I'm a little skeptical. I want to know the good and the bad whether it is worth while.

Some good things:
    1.) Year long advertising.
    2.) One source for potential clients.
    3.) Gives a certain amount of credibility to my company.
    4.) Get the phone ringing.

Bad things:
    1.) Price shoppers. Competitor listed right next to each other.
    2.) Advertising area is too large.
    3.) Expensive. More expensive ads probably get more hits.
    4.) Will the phone really start ringing?
    5.) One ad for the whole year (I like to run seasonal ads).
    6.) I'm not always there to answer the phone, people may not leave a message.

So does the good out weigh the bad. I do estimates over the phone so this will cut out unecessary visits.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

A lot of people use the yellow pages when calling for landscaping and yard care quotes. They just call everyone that is listed in there that has the service that they want. So having your name there too will give you a good chance of being called. Also, everyone has the yellow pages! I hope this isn't too confusing.
  3. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Its only worth it if you are a large Landscaping company. I do mostly commercial maintenance and it was a very bad mistake to get a yellow pages add. All I get is tire kickers from well outside my route area. I have tried everything and I concluded that for me, the yellow pages is the very worst way to spend advertising dollars.

If you are a landscaping --not maintenance-- and average 5-20 k per job then the yellow pages may work for you.
  4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies. I do mostly maintenance and most of my Landscaping work comes from maintenance customers, and they are usually small jobs, like flower beds, planting bushes etc, nothing in the $2,000+ range. I have a small company right now and at this stage I'd prefer to grow my maintenance accounts in order to expand and fill in my route and to help grow a steady (larger) cash flow. At this time I prefer to do landscaping work for existing customers that I have worked with so I come into it with an understanding of their tastes, budget, and expectations.
  5. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

Question to the people who don't advertize in YP where do you advertize ??
  6. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I only advertise in 2 places: the Yellow Pages and a local publication that goes only to homeowners in specific areas of town.

My ad is 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches and has green lettering for the company name and phone number and the rest is black. Personally, I think it is the best ad on the page. It cost me $130.00 per month. I was definately skeptical about commiting to it last year, but the quality of business is awesome. Believe it or not, very few price shoppers. Here in Florida, people may call 10 LCO's, of which only maybe 3-4 actually answer. Of which 1 may actually show up. Whoever shows up usually gets the job. By the end of Feb, I had enough business to pay for the ad for the year.

I havent passed out 1 flyer this year, and dont have any advertising on my truck. I got 75% of my business from the YP. In fact I havent answered my phone hardly at all in the last 2 months.

And I work by myself.

Advertising in the YP isnt about the biggest ad, nor the smallest either. You have to give the customer a reason to call you. Its all in Marketing!!!!

Whenever someone does call, I always ask how the heard of me, and 8 times out of 10 they say the YP and they loved the ad.

Oh yeah, I know its coming so I will go out on a limb and say it now. Dont ask whats in my ad, cause I am not saying. I know there alot of people on this site that have ZERO creativity and would be happy to rip it off.

That may sound like me being a jerk, but it is the truth.
  7. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

This is so true. I hear it all time. "I called 4 people and you're the only one that called me back." And I get the job every time. Boggles my mind that people don't return phone calls. But that's true for alot of businesses in Florida. I can call 5 electricians or plumbers or whatever and only 1 or 2 will call back or show up, etc.

I advertise in a local paper and I get very few "tire kickers." I pay $75 a month for my ad which is nothing and I get more work than I can handle from it. That's the only advertising I do. The rest is word of mouth.