1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow Pages

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scweedman, Nov 1, 2005.

1. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone had success with a YP ad. I have just a bold listing and
    receive nothing. I'm wondering if i should go with a real ad. Most people
    say it is a waste of money.
  2. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

I've had wonderful success using the "yellow pages" but only when lighting fires and when we run outa lavatory paper whilst camping.
  3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Waste of Money IMO. Drawbacks are bargin shoppers (tire kickers) and a wide service area. I would think you would be better off saturating the neighborhoods you are already esablished/working in.
  4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

ok then.......................................
  5. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i dont know, we've done ok with yellow pages. we list in 3 books, i think you deffinately need an ad as opossed to a listing. Folks looking to hire someone will not see them with a one line listing. Do full color ad and if possible have it designed professionaly, dont rely on the phone book sales person to design your ad. get something that will make it jump off the page.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

They called today wanting to do a full page in color 3k worth, not.
  7. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

is that monthly?

we do....i think its an 8th page ad. the actual ad size is about the size of a business card, full color on a white back ground....really jumps out at ya.

we pay something like $285 per book per month...or just around $10,000 per year. we generated around $55,000 in new businsee this season (aprox 120 accounts)

comes out to a cost of around $80 per sale
  8. ArizPestWeed

I went from a 2'' inline ad to a 2/3 page add for $400.00 a month.
    I had my doubts , but , in the frist 3 months , it paid for it's self .
    In my area there are 12 pest control companies , so , it makes sense .
    In Phoenix , there's 50 and the ad wil cost $2,000 or more a month , is my guess.
    Next year I'm going color for another $100 .

9. My YP ad has paid for itself every year that I had one. We also expanded our presence each year.

I agree that people who call on it are shopping around, and that other forms of advertising generate better leads. But as long as the ad is making money, I will keep it in the book.

I like having my ad next to the names of the other well known companies in the area. It helps get my companies name out there.
  10. ArizPestWeed

It may attract shopers , but , it gives you the chance to connect and sell your service .
    Get 'em to call any way you can