Yellow Pages.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scape Sculptor, Apr 3, 2000.

1. Scape Sculptor

Scape Sculptor LawnSite Member

Hey, guys I have a chance to get in the yellow pages for the next town near me. 300,000 copies. What size would be appropiate? This is my first year. Have bare essentials for equip, will rent what I don't have. Only working capital will be what I make. I have expertise, over 20 years in greens industry and a Hort degree. Book comes out in June so I would think I would benefit from it this year. Would like to hear what you all think and would like to see your add, just to see what your looks like. Also what kind of response do you get from it? I have till Friday to let them know if I'm in. Thanks guys, Dan
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Dan,<p>If you want to grow your business fast this is the way to go. I have had mine since last June and although I ***** about the cost, it sure has worked! I ran an ad big enough to be second on the page but it costs $300.00 a month, I'm in 2 directories. The other town that I advertised in has brought me nothing but the bill every month. I would suggest keeping the ad local, don't want too much travel time and put as much color in it as you can afford. It comes down to what you can pay for every month as to what size you wind up with. I downsized mine to a one liner this year and will see what response I get, it now will cost me $13.70 per month! You have to pay for the business line in order to have the yellow page ad so there is another $70.00 per month.<p>Homer
  3. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

hey Dan-<br>I wouldn't be where I am w/o yell. pgs. I would DEFINITELY GET INTO IT!<br>In order to not sound redundant & repeat myself over & over, do a topic search for &quot;yellow pages&quot; on this forum, & read the past entries.<br>I started out small, & still got more bus. than I could handle on a part time basis. I had a 1&quot; x 2&quot; ad for about 3-4 yrs., & worked great. This year I bumped up to a 1/8 pg. which is almost a 3 x 5 ad with color. It runs about $140 a month, but 2 new customers will pay for it, everything above that is icing on the cake.<br>Don't let your agent talk you into a big ad until you're ready for it; they push for bigger ads to get more commission. I did really well with the 1 x 2. <br>Try the search & read over the past posts. Good luck.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
  4. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

I got into the yellow pages this year, the prices in my area are outragous i have a small ad where my name would appear in the phone book, they call it the business card size but it is 2&quot; by 1 and costs me a 140 an 1/8 of a page would have been well over 300.
  5. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

edl <p> how many calls have you had from that?<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida