yellow pages

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Dec 1, 2006.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

what are your opinions on the yellow pages?

from looking at my yellow book...it seems if you are going to spend the money for an ad, do it big and colorful. so either go big and spend the money or don't do it at all.

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes when you look in the YP most people look for a big ad and number. They then go through the big ads and start shopping for price.

3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Evceryone who knows anything about YP says that people will read the first 2 to 3 of the first pages and call from them .
    My almost full page ad paid for it's self in 3 months , but , I don't tall the YP people that .
    Don't both with color

4. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

I attended a marketing seminar hosted by Planet in September. They said statistically, direct mail & a well designed web site will be your most effective advertising with a strong emphasis on the web because of the low cost & high traffic.
    They basically wrote off the yellow pages because of the cost/benefit ratio.
    That is not to say it does not work for some but as stated previously, you had better be listed on the first few pages.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I found that most people calling from my YP ads were getting multiple quotes.

They would normally go with the cheapest. Since my pricing is higher than some of the larger companies, I did not get most of those bids. Turned out to be a waste for me.

People who currently have a service they are not happy with do not consult the yellow pages. They typically ask friends and neighbors about possible alternatives, which is why referrals are so important.

6. ArizPestWeed

I wrote that without my glasses , ..

I go heavy on the post cards in spring and summer .
    I get more business from them than YP.
    YP are more consistent because they are always out there .
    YP in a big city will not work , very very expensive for a start up business .

I live in a area of 55K people .
    It works here .

7. Envi-Lawn

Envi-Lawn LawnSite Member
    from CT

I stopped using the YP, as the web site is always there with much less cost and more info available to potential clients. I've gotten more quality calls from the web than any other form of advertising. Less price shoppers.

8. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I read somewhere not long ago that you want to do things that will create sales not leads. In other words upsell existing customers and offer a bonus for a referal thats leads to a sale.

You still have to advertise and market your service. I would get my info in front of the people I want to work for. Yellow pages has it's place but there are other ways to spend that same money with a greater return. Especially for a start up.

9. ArizPestWeed

I get 5 calls a year from my site and 50 calls a momth from YP
    http://www.pest-weed-free.com/