Yellow Pages?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dchauling, Dec 13, 2006.

1. dchauling

dchauling LawnSite Member

Hi all

What is the best way for advertising that you have found.

I am primarily a landscaper but I am retiring from the Army next year and want some monthly lawn maint. accounts for the guaranteed income.

I have been very sucessful with an ad in the newspaper (city of 750 000) but I want to expand the bus.

Any input on Yellow Pages is much appreciated.

2. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I've only heard bad things about advertising in the yp. My father, aunt, uncle, and cousin are all FORMER yellow page advertisers, and say that they'd never try it again. Big waste of money, in their opinions. Your add gets noticed less and less as the book grows, but the price you pay increases even faster than that. Hope this helps you out.
  3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Im trying my first YP ad this year. The book just came out last week. Its not a big ad by any means . About 2.5 inches wide by 1.5 tall. Its about 60 a month for the year. I saw the ad and the good news is its the only "AD" on the page surrounded by the oneliners with the companies name and #. I guess I lucked out on the page.
  4. marionlandscape

marionlandscape LawnSite Member

think of the biggest companies around look up a few of them in the yellow pages. I'll bet they are there. do you think they just made bad decisions to get as big as they are or do you think they put a little research into it. also the YP just puts your name in front of them you still have to make a name for yourself

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

Try church bulleitens the best is word of mouth 97% of our business is that
  6. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

My opinion is that if someone needs a landscaper, they will find one long before they resort to the YP.

GELAWNS LawnSite Member

Signing up with has generated more business than anything else we have used and they are great to work with.
  8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We tried the Yellow Pages before and I will never do it again. Unless your ad is one of the biggest ones on that page, forget it! We spent just over 1k for a few small listings and a coupon in the coupon section, whiched turned out very nice but I can honestly say I got maybe 2 calls from it leading into nothing.
  9. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

I had a yp ad a few years ago, it was $125/ mo. I got a ton of price shoppers. Dumped my ad last year, but kept my line ad in. The amount of business I lost amazed me. I put it back in this year. If I only mowed, I wouldn't do it, but doing the landscape and selling mulch, I need it.
  10. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

I put an ad in the Yellow Book this year. It came out in November and so far I have had 5 calls form the ad. 3 were looking for a job and wanted to know if I was hiring, 1 was an insurance saleman wanting to sell me health insurance, and one was a person wanting a bid on leaf clean up. I got the leaf job and it paid 190.00 then I spent 125.00 for the first months payment on the ad, and then I spent 10 in fuel and bags for the job. So not to sure if this is good or bad but time will tell....