1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow pages

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Haulin' Grass, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Haulin' Grass

Haulin' Grass LawnSite Member
    from CT

Who uses it and how much biz do you think you get from it ? This is only my second year FT and don't know if it would be cost efficient. It's $40 a month but I can use local paper for $7 per paper for same size ad. I can get a block ad( biz card size) for $110 a month per local paper. My work area is three/four towns around me but would like to expand that.
  2. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

i don't use it personally. I took a marketing class (specifically for the green industry) & they basicly said the yellow pages gave you the least bang for your buck. It's been said that people who use the yellow pages to find a landscaper are often just price shopping.
  3. MRMelton

MRMelton LawnSite Member

I also know guys who've had great success with yp. I've got an ad this year. It's bus. card size for $177/month. I wouldn't go any smaller than that size, otherwise you might be wasting your money. I'm actually getting ready to so bid my first job of the season from the ad.
  4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

So what did they recommend?
  5. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

direct mail, web site (best bang for buck), newspaper ads, lots of other creative but inexpensive ways to advertise & network your business were covered.
    one thing that would greatly impact the effectiveness of a yellow page ad is the design.
    like i said i don't have any experience with the yellow pages. I am just relaying what the woman said. She does a ton of market research & makes a living off helping companies increase revenues through better use of their advertising dollars. That being said, what does not work for some will work great for others.

6. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I ran an ad in my YP to the tune of $254.00 per month. I also ran an other ad in a small local newspaper for about $90.00 per month. We I get calls from potential clients, I fill out what I call a customer call sheet. On this sheet I have everything from name, phone, address, services interested in, how they heard of us, etc, etc. My calls where about 6 times more from the ad in the local paper than the YP and the quality of work was better (more commercial work). Now keep in mind these are the exact same ads in both publications. You do the math!! YP sucks in my opinion.
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I have a minimum of three calls a year from these stupid YP salesman. They all start out the same...Sir, I saw your truck/trailer parked at such and such and I noticed you weren't in the yellow pages. I represent such and such and we are running great deals on advertising right now.

I always start out polite and state I'm not interested and then one of the idiots ALWAYS has to act like a typical salesman and try and keep me on the line with more questions. They all seem perplexed when I tell him the YP wouldn't work for us. Then they all say how all the companys are successful that advertise in them...that just blows my mind. I explain we work across multiple counties and in those counties we are in select areas NOT county-wide so what can he do? Then he usually states how many phone calls I would get with leads...I then ask him how many quality leads that will lead into profitable jobs. Usually the line goes quite and he goes back into his speal about the cost. I then tell them I have a deal for him since they are so confident in their advertising...

Place my add in your YP free of charge. As soon as I land a job I will send you the montly fee as a referral fee. They usually chuckle at this point and tell me to have a nice day.

Man do I hate those salesmen!!! :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

sorry for the rant
  8. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I think the answer really depends on where you are and what your advertising goal is.

I do strictly irrigation, so judge accordingly.

I keep a small (bus. card size) and simple YP ad to generate calls mainly for service and blow outs.

The vast majority of my installs are for landscapers and builders, so I don't really chase the homeowner trade. I do get a number of calls for installations, but realistically, they are much lower quality than I get by having signs on my truck and trailer, so I don't pursue those calls very much.

I experimented with newspaper classified ad one time and will never do that again. That was a big waste of money, every single call that that generated was a tire kicker.

I think businesses should have a small YP presence, it helps to "legitimize" you, especially if you are looking for smaller jobs or to increase your customer base. For big dollar business, build up relationships with suppliers and others in complementary industries (i.e: if you do cutting, make friends with landscapers that don't cut).
  9. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

It costs around $250 a month to run an ad in the local newspaper here but its well worth it because in one month the ad will pay for itself 10 times over.
  10. dchauling

dchauling LawnSite Member

I found that with my newspaper adds I recieved tons of calls. The people that shop the paper have rarely spent over 5000. Al of our larger contracts came from referals of large companies that thought a 13,000 res was to small for them. I am going to try the pages and see if we can tap into the big contracts. Who the heck is going to call a 5 line newspaper add to do a 30K job for them? It is 138 for the 5 liner or 160 for yp which is a nicer add.

Attached Files: