1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow Pages?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Stripper, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Stripper

Stripper LawnSite Member
    from Ky.

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum. I just discovered it late last night.

My question is regarding advertising in the yellow pages. I'm considering running a 1/8 or 1/4 pg color ad next year. I looking for a better way to get my name out there. Did door hangers this year, with minimal success. The prices I've received for the yellow pages are based on 12 months. 1/4 pg color $1800, 1/8 pg color $900.

It's not cheap, but if it makes my phone ring, the initial cost would be a drop in the bucket. What do you guys think?
    I am always open to ideas!!
  2. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

I called yellow pages in NC and your rates are much better up there for that big of an ad. I'm just thinking about starting next spring myself and inquired with saleswoman about getting an ad. If they only costs that here, I'm sure I'd do it since I need all the help I can get. Anyway, she also said the 1 line add with your number was a waste of money. But then again she is a saleswoman and wants to sell you more space obviously. Thought about calling some of those 1 liner folks to see what results they have had. She also said since there are 3 or 4 pages of Lawn Maintenance ads in our yellow pages that having a company name that would put you on the first page makes a HUGE difference. My name is Adam, so if I named my company "Adam's Lawn Care for example, I'd go on the first page more than likely. Makes sense to me. I think a 1/4 page ad in color here might cost upwards of $4000 so no way I'm investing that much in my city. Hell a 1 line with no bold letters is $60 a month I think. Good luck and sorry I can't tell you how successful it would be. But my guess is that if you have hardly any customers yet, then you might want to do it to get started that first year and then maybe drop it after that. If you don't do good that first year you may get out of the business entirely anyway is the way I look at it.
  3. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I am in Denver and will be paying $300/mo for a 1/8 page ad, the regular price is over $1200. Think about it if the ads in the book didnt work they would not be there year after year. I actually work for the local yellow pages and have a lot of information about the kind of calls they pull.

boxoffire- Your local book may do things different than ours but your name will only get you up front with the in-column ads, the display ads are what pull the majority of the calls, but a good in-column in the "A" section would defintly be better that anything else.

Good luck Stripper
  4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Stripper,

Here is a post with much more info.

Yellow Pages