1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow splotches showing on lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kennybob, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Kennybob

Kennybob LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Ive been suddenly getting some yellow splotches on this lawn, I am currently mowing at 2.5-3 inches, it seems someone went and threw round up on it in splotches! It is in a couple other places around the front lawn, but nowhere on the back lawn. What do you think and how can I fix it?

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Looks like a dog is using the bathroom there.
  3. cgll1135

cgll1135 LawnSite Member

That's some kind of chemical burn. Talk to the owner to see if they might have thrown out some household chemical.
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Have you had a very wet spring? Does it have a redish tint to it? If it does it could be red thread. Could be brown patch. Could be where a dog has been going potty especially if they have a female dog. Female dogs urin is more acidic then male dogs. With out looking at it in person its really hard to tell. Also could be a chemical burn. I dont think its anything you did.
  5. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

was it fertilized lately, could be from to much fert. coming out at the start?, second pic looks like dog urine also. only way to fix is rake up dead grass and apply same type of grass seed.
  6. Kennybob

Kennybob LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Had a few days of rain, nothing drastic. No reddish tint.

The weird thing is that it is nowhere around where weed killer would normally be sprayed, and the owner did not use any chemical on it.

I do notice 3-4 houses around having dogs that are walked on a daily basis. If it were urine would I have to neutralize the soil before planting again?

7. Kennybob

Kennybob LawnSite Member
    from NJ

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Those splotches are neither from dog urine or fertilizer burn. It looks like SOME sort of chemical burn, but not fertilizer or urine. the second picture looks more like something like dollar spot, or brown patch. I would love to see an up close of the second pic.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry. I forgot to suggest a remedy. Just keep socking some water toe it for awhile, first. the last pic looks more and more like heat stress. Also, in looking at the 3rd pic, there IS possible evidence of urine burn. The reason I went against it in the other shots, is because urine spots (and fert. burn) have a distinction to them. As the concentrate of ammonia (nitrate) is at high enough levels to burn the foliage off, as it reaches the outside of the contaminated area, it dilutes (as the circumference increases) and the concentration weakens. This then leave an area that the turfgrass COULD handle, but, since it has a higher concentrate of N, you also have these way cool dark rings around the patch. In other words, dead patches surrounded by a donut of beautiful grass.:eek: In looking closely at the 4th pic, I am seeing the bluishness of the grass toward the bottom of the pic. this isn't dirECTly indicative of urine or feces spots, because it isn't all the way around, but it IS possible. I mean, it could have got rinsed in that direction or that may be the runoff direction from rain, or something. Just a thought.
    Ok,...now that I've pretty much beat THIS one to death,...I'll leave it alone.:rolleyes:

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

looks like a gas cap on the edger not on right ...............