yellowing boxwoods

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Schlepie, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

what is the deal with the yellow/orangish color on these boxwood shrubs here in Texas? Is it a deficiency, disease or just normal for this time of year. I dont remember this last season.
    Thanks

Schlep

2. Needs acid or iron I think. (dunno jes guessing)

3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine are doing the same thing in Okla. I think the cold weather takes a toll on them. Mine always come back well in the spring.

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Are they yellowing or getting a bronzish appearance?

If they are bronzing, then it's a natural winter thing. Certain varieties of boxwood are more susceptible to it than others. Spraying an anti-dessicant on them (such as Wilt-proof) in the late fall/early winter can help to avoid this problem.

HTH.

Dan

5. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, i believe it is a natural thing. The Korean boxwoods are pretty bad about doing that. Wintergreen boxwoods are a good variety to use. They are darker green than the other boxwoods and they stay green in the winter.

6. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Boxwoods are also real sensitive to dog urine. I've seen this kill them.

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Very true. Also keep an eye on yellowing/or whitening of leaves due to white fly damage. It wont be the whole shrub, just leaves here or there.