Yellowing on Fescue

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PLM-1, May 28, 2005.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that has you know who (TGCL) fertilize. It is getting a really bad yellow tint to it with virtually no growth week to week. Any ideas what it could be?? I will take a pic today when i go "mow" it.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

To much weed killer. It isn't so much the mix that is too hot, because they really water it down to keep the morons from burning the grass (they run about 2 to 2.5 gal. per M). What happens many of times, is as the day wears on, Jimmy gets tired out. Jimmy can't walk as fast as the earlier part of the day. Jimmy still has to make his $1200 quota for the day. This slows Jimmy down. Jimmy lays down heavier chemical as a result. It's possible that you MAY have gotten one of the "advanced" applicators with a permagreen who are mega-experienced with these machines. As if these guys weren't messing up enough stuff with a watered down, safe formulation. Now, they put these guys on these machines running ultra-hot mix. I STILL have to get some pics and show you guys this zebra lawn they do. It must be some kind of exotic grass, or something. Perhaps they've heard the rave ov3er "striping", so they decided to take it on themselves,...

3. PLM-1

I tried to take a few pics but they didn't really show what i was talking about. I picked a few blades and will try and scan and post. To me, it looks like brown spot. They are yellowing/browning from the center out.

4. PLM-1

Now that i get to investigating i am beginning to think it is Stripe Smut. Anyone have experience with this?

5. PLM-1

Here is some scanned images of a few blades of grass. It has since wilted even further so i will get more samples tomorrow and post those.

Taylor - Disease.jpg

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Red Thread. The upper right one...it has the mycillium growing from the top. I can't tell so much about the stripe smut, as I would love to see a fresher leaf and more up close. I see a little bit of what you mean, but again, it's hard to tell from the pic.

7. BRANDMEL

BRANDMEL LawnSite Member

LMAO!!! That's great!!!

8. Macvols

Macvols LawnSite Member

Red Thread!
    Mike

9. PLM-1

I just realized that the pic the you all are seeing as red thread is actually the part of the stem that was in the ground. i just had it flipped over. Mike, is that the strand you were talking about??

10. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Really hard to tell from the pics but seems that it could be Melting out. What have your conditions been as of the past few weeks? Fertilizing will at times aggrivate this disease and only make the situation look worse for a time. Knowing that they treated this and probably with a liquid spray, commonly they use little or no slow release in the liquid compounds they apply! Sure to make melting out look even more severe.