yellowjackets

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by laxative, Jun 24, 2008.

1. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

First yellowjacket thread this year? Anybody get hit yet? I did today. Just one on my ring finger but whole hand is getting huge. Have an ice pack zip tied to the back of my hand.

Seems too early in the season.

2. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

yellow jackets and ground bees you must watchout for ground bees. Because once you run over their nest they will get caught in deck of your mower and fly out from under and sting you good.

Ask me how i know....:cry::cry: be afraid be very afraid

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yellow Jackets do make nest in the ground. They usually get me every year. The worst is having hornets after you. I have seen their nest on the the ground, in trees and bushes

4. lostmdboy

lostmdboy LawnSite Member

I got hit while timming some box woods, but I definately got my revenge. :D

5. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a general solution to problems like this. kill it with fire!

6. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I have a question for those that have been stung, what did it feel like? I got stung las year and can still remember what it felt like so I'd like to hear what you guys have to say so I can compare.

I think the SOB(S) that got me were yellow jackets.

7. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

a couple of years ago i was trimming and walked over one... a bunch flew up the legs of my shorts.... i bet i got stung 15 times before i could get them off of me.... i was in so much pain i thought i was gonna throw up.... i HATE those little buzzards.... but i get stung EVERY year at least 3 or 4 times..... hurts like hell. :cry:

8. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

"I have a question for those that have been stung, what did it feel like? I got stung las year and can still remember what it felt like so I'd like to hear what you guys have to say so I can compare. "

How does it feel? Try being stuck with needles and then your skin starts to get red and swelling. (Chinese darts) I don't smoke so i can't put tobacco on them. :cry::cry::cry:;)

9. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

found a nest in the ground about 2 weeks ago !! way to early for this !!

10. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Interesting, I felt like I got shot so maybe I got nailed by some kinda hornet. Either way it hurt like hell, I dropped the trimmer and left it running where it dropped.