1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Wilson Edge, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

Have any of you had experience with the yellow pages. com advertising. I met with a guy and he talked me into a $59 a month program for advertising. sounds like its a good deal for what i get but have any of you used yellowpages.com and how did it go
  2. CleanCutMowers

CleanCutMowers LawnSite Member
    from SE MO

I have been using it and have got a few calls from guys out of my area wanting to sub to me. So this has been good. When mowing season starts then we will see how many people actually use it. I only pay $49 a month though.
  3. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

i pay 50cents per click.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I havent used them, simply because I have herd to many bad things about them and poor results
  5. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

yah i pay the 59 because it puts me at the top of the list....aparently the more you pay the high on the list you go. plus i have red bold and crap like that. they offered a garanteed 90 clicks per month for 210 a month. dont think it is worth it right no but maybe later when i get allot bigger.

what bad things have you heard about them
  6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I've been using it for 2 years now along with ads in the book. Last year I jumped up to the premium online ad (it was only 49 a month), I was the first name on the page, had my logo up, description, all differnet stuff. It was really nice actually. I got a few commercial calls out of it, got some one time calls for residential work too. I think I landed only 2 or 3 jobs out of it, no commercial though.

I do get a bunch of property management companies that call, but they're almost scam sounding, they want me to bid on a property that already has a contract for the year, not sure what thats about.

This year I stepped it down to just a regular ad, it was 29 a month, I did it because with out it I wouldn't of got 50% off the in book ad and wouldn't of got buy one get one free ad's in the book. So the $30 a month was worth the $400 savings a month for book ad's.
  7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd never pay 200 a month for the online stuff unless the area you live in is really high tech internet age. Where I live, it's alot of elderly people and it just seems people don't go to online first. They go to the phone book first here.
  8. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

It is just my opinion that advertising in phone books or yellowpages.com gets you more calls from price shoppers, tire kickers, and potential pitas than anything else. Now I am just speaking in general terms of course. I am sure there are some success stories, but I bet they are few and far between. The best advertising per dollar is word of mouth. It is generally free. When someone calls you that was recommended by one of your customers you get the job most of the time.
    Now if you strive to be a large LCO, then that would not be a bad option. I don't know if it will help much, but then your name is posted everywhere for people to see. If I was a large LCO I probably would advertise in the yellowpages, on billboards, and on the Internet, maybe even radio. Then it becomes more about name recognition than anything else. It is about the same as lettering your trucks, and painting them the same color. If I was the largest operation in my town I would do all of that. Because everywhere people would look they would see your name and your trucks, and your employees all dressed the same. Then it can really start to make a difference. But if I ran that big of an operation, I would have people to help me deal with the large volume of calls that never amount to any business. I could go out and deal with the tire kickers while my 10 crews are mowing away....Oh I mean while my crews are out sitting under a shade tree somewhere smoking.
    But as a small LCO I already have a full schedule. I don't have much time to spend with tire kickers. I can get rid of most of them over the phone without having to make a trip to look at the property. But I don't want to return a dozen or more phone calls every night and spend an hour of my family time explaining why I won't be able to help them.