Yes, another backpack blower thread

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blsnelling, Mar 9, 2011.

What's the best BP blower on the market today?

1. Shindaiwa EB802

22 vote(s)
  2. Redmax EBZ8050/EBZ8001

17 vote(s)
  3. Echo PB-770

18 vote(s)
  1. blsnelling

blsnelling LawnSite Member

I'm researching, trying to find what I believe to be the best backpack blower on the market today. First of all, I'm only interested in a 2-stroke engine. So please don't recommend the BR600 or EBZ8520. I'm very aware they're good blowers, but that's not what I'm looking for. I believe I've narrowed it down to three models.

Shindaiwa EB802
    This unit is in it's 3rd year of production and is a bullet proof model. It's performance is near the top of the pack. Even then, it's said to be undertuned from the factory with an easily modded muffler, that gets it closer to it's advertised maximum power. I've seen that an adjustable carb is available, but have not confirmed that or found a PN for it.

Redmax EBZ8050
    The EBZ8001 has been reguarded by many to be the best blower. Many say that the 8050 is not as strong. However, comparing the IPLs shows every part in the engine, exhaust, carb, ignition, blower housing, and impeller to all be the same. Someone mentioned that the 8001 had an easily modded muffler that the 8050 does not. I'm still trying to sort through this. If it's simply a few mods to make it what the 8001 was, then I have no problem with that.

Echo PB-770
    Said by many to be the strongest blower on the market, but also said by some to have exaggerated specs, and be no stronger than the competition. It's also a newer, less proven model.
  2. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

BR550, BR600, Br600 Magnum
  3. blsnelling

Those are not an option. I am only considering 2-stroke blowers.
  4. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

Most power Redmax, Lightest(most comfortable) Stihl
  5. TheOctagon

TheOctagon LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Brad, What you gonna do Mod a blower now???? maybe cram a 7900 engine in one haha.
  6. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

They're 50:1
  7. blsnelling

I think I might be able to do something with a 79cc Redmax engine:)
  8. blsnelling

I understand that, and am not saying they're not good blowers. I simply want the simplicity of a 2-stroke. I port saws and know my way around them a lot better.
  9. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

personally i don't like backpack blowers...i worked for a guy before and we used them...nothing worse than the feeling of putting that thing on when it's 100 degrees outside lol....handheld all the way for just as good
  10. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

BR600, we have 4 and they have been running strong for several years.