yes, another dethatch question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToG, Apr 11, 2003.

1. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

just got done scanning through about 500 posts about dethatching, what a mess. why so many differences in price? if everyone agrees that you end up with tons of debris to haul off, why not charge more? also what does the letter m mean? ex. 4m sq ft... or 4/m $20, i'm assuming it means thousand, yes?

going out tommorow to bid a dethatching job. i know it's probably not needed and will try to talk her into aeration instead. however, it sounds as if dethatching is just something she has become used to over the years and will want it done anyway, so why not grab the job instead of letting someone else make the money?

here comes the list of q's:

i own 44" toro wb, 21" bagger, stihl 420 bp blower, misc. echo trimmers. there is no budget to buy a detatcher for my wb, so don't rave about them please..:p

what is the best peice of equipment suited for this job that would be available for me to rent?

what can i use my existing equip. for to assist me in this job?

why do some charge as little as $12 per 1000 sq ft and others up to $40?

would it be fair to charge about 3x the mowing price plus $$ to haul, would this be considered low or high end?

i know this is a lot of Q's, i've never been involed in dethatching before( almost seems like something from the past these days ). in any case i don't want to screw myself so any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I only have one recommendation. Don't do dethatching during the spring time. Do aeration instead. If you do dethatching during the spring time you are promoting weed growth a lot more. Dethatching should not be done until late in the season.

3. tiedeman

from earth

what I would do to in selling the aeration instead of the dethatching is bring her some literature regarding the pro's of aeration now, and the con's of dethatching. Literature always help you prove your point.

4. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

thanks, i think i'll do that. any recommendations as to where to find good material?

5. tiedeman

from earth

6. tiedeman

from earth

I know that some of them say its ok during the spring time, but from my certification I was educated on doing it during late season.

7. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

i spoke too soon. i just found tons of info and have some good customer friendly 'fact sheets' printing as i type. interesting though, the universities seem to encourage dethatching in the spring. this of course is combined with the application of pre-emergence weed control afterwards. little support is given to aeration as an effective means of relieving thatch. in any case, i feel i have a few pieces of good documentation supporting both aspects that will allow the homeowner to make an educated decision. thanks for the suggestions.... i'm going to sleep!!

8. tiedeman

from earth

ya I noticed that as well...about half of them supported dethatching in the spring, while the other half said in late summer, early fall...go figure.

9. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told spring dethatch, fall aerate, and neither durring summer(because of stress).

Fall aeration helps promote new root growth, and reduce soil compaction. After a season of mowing, you loosing the soil. In the fall you feed the roots.

Spring dethatching promotes thicker lawns by removing thick thatch letting more light to the soil, and breaking the stolen's and maybe some rizomes to promote a new plant. That's why it is not as necessary to dethatch a cool season lawn. Dethatching a fescue or BG lawn is really just raking up leafs and dead grass.

10. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

ToG, were did you find your info? Would like to read. Thanks