Yes, another ZTR thread....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RLS24, Jun 9, 2008.

1. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

I may be looking to get a ZTR mower. but heres the catch: I only do 4 lawns right now (do this as a side gig from my regular job and school) and I am gonna try and pick up 2 or 3 more for next year. I can't really afford a good Commercial mower, so I was looking at a residential grade one. Thats about all I can afford, since I will need to get a trailer as well.

Anyway, I am looking at 2 50" ones:

the Toro Z5000
    http://www.toro.com/home/zeroturn/timecutterz/z5000.html
    it has a 21 hp Kohler v-twin and top speed of 7 mph

The Cub Cadet RZT50
    http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_10231_33817_-1#
    22 hp Kawasaki v-twin, top speed 6.0 mph

I have always heard good about Toro, but I am leaning towards the Cub because everyone seems to praise Kawasaki engines on here. The Toro is $200 cheaper.

2. Youngone07

Youngone07 LawnSite Member

buy a wright !! Lots a horse bug decks, and best of all amazing cut and looowww prices.

3. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

Let me tell you this...buying a residential mower is suicide. you can buy a used commercial from the 90's and still be able to go faster and get a better cut. the reason for this is in order to go faster you need faster blade rpm and in order to have that you need a bigger motor which costs $$$$$. Home owners just cutting their own lawns do not need the quality of a commercial mower but for your application i would suggest it. Another problem is that homeowner mowers have stamped out metal deck so you are more prone to denting and it will just not last nearly as long. Just go for a cheap used commercial...im sure u can find one. Look into wright and hustler or even scag and exmark if u can handle your jobs with a walkbehind

4. cooperlandscaping

cooperlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from NE ohio

When i started out i had the same thoughts you did. But when i went to a real store to pick out my first mowers you cant even compare home grade to the pros. Everyone has great deals on mowers. I went with a scag 48" with the big kaw motor with a salky wheel. I am still using that mower because it is a great setup. Plus the extra money you will save with out having to buy a $8000 ztr. The homeowner mowers are a little more money than a good walk behind, but unlike the homeowner mowers when you grow you will always need a good walk being or a good back-up mower. just my opion on this matter.

5. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

yes Cooper is correct I like his thinking

6. Allamericanlandscaping

Allamericanlandscaping LawnSite Member

i was looking at a 61 scag for a while , guy would give it to me for 1400. allotting 600 at max for repairs you are still getting a better mower that IS professional grade for about 1k less

7. 19-SAH-98

19-SAH-98 LawnSite Member

You can get a good used walkbehind for pretty cheap, I bought a gear drive JD. It ain't as good as a hydro, but it'll cut a lot of grass while you grow your buisness. I've got 3 hydro riders and I still won't part with it. And if you only have one mower, it should be a walkbehind (better on hills)

8. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

my thinking for the rider is because 3 out of my 4 lawns right now are very flat, large, and open properties. the 4th one is medium sized and has a gate to the back yard that 21" barely fits through in the first place.

9. cooperlandscaping

cooperlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from NE ohio

Not trying to shot your ideal down but, even a good mower salemen will tell you to go with something less pricey. My salesmen was the one that told me to wait because i wanted to but a WB and a ztr for my first set. Then he sold me my 48" walk behind for 3000 and told me when i get bigger to come back and then we will talk. With the yards you say you have my mower with the salky wheel on it in the number 5 speed will fly threw those yards. It just keeps your over head lower and gives you more wiggle room with bills. If you can make enough money to carry you threw the winter and have enough to advertise the next year you are doing pretty good for your first year.

10. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine has the toro and owns 5 rental houses and has not had any problems with this mower. Buy it from a dealer, if you go with a box store and take it to a dealer for work you'll be put on the bottom of the list! I know everyone on here is going to say COMMERCIAL and for the most part there right but like I said someone I know has this mower and I thought I would comment. hes had it for a couple of seasons