Yes, Husqvarna's 170 and 180 backpack blowers are Redmax.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tallimeca, Mar 8, 2008.

1. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a couple P.M's about some posts about back pack blowers.

Husqvarna's 170 and 180 back pack blowers are Redmax units. They purchased Redmax over a year ago. The 170 has been out for a while the the 180's are out now, they started shipping a couple weeks ago.

Differences are the Husky has a heavier duty molding on the frame, better padding and straps, different plastic engine shround, and a different tube handle, and they give you 1 more tube to go out the blower tube.

There has been some rumors going back and forth about this and no, it's not a tall tale. They are Redmax EBZ7001, and EBZ8000 blowers. I can post pictures anyone is curious.

Redmax equipment will start coming through with new decals that say "Redmax by Husqvaran" at some point, or so i've been told.
  2. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

Is there any difference in price?
  3. riverwalklandscaping

riverwalklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

is this a typo on husq's site:

4.4 cu.inch / 71.9 cm³ 201 mph / 90 m/s 19.4 m³/min / 201 cfm 29.1 lbs / 13.2 kg

only 201cfm? am I to understand its 1/5 as powerful as my EBZ8001?

if you do that math I think it should say about 700cfm, but thats still way lower than the 950ish of the 8001... also why is it 5 pounds heavier?

Upon further reading, nevermind. The stats must have been put in wrong, if you compare the 180 and 170 at their site you get the same stats as a 8001, 915 CFM. The husq tho is still listed as about 30 pounds, compared to redmax's 25.
  4. tallimeca

yes, it's a typo. 915 cfm i believe is what it's rated at.

I will also tell you that Redmax's advertised weights on those blowers are off. They have the 7000 rated at 24.5lbs and the 8000 at 25.9

The 170 in the Husky is listed at 26.9 and the 180 is listed at 29.1

The Echo PB755 blowers are listed at 26.2 lb just for comparison.

There is no way in hell the Echo 755 weights more than the Redmax 8000. You put them on your back and it feels like a 5lb difference.

Even with more webbing in the plastic frame, and the extra tube, there's no way there 3 more lbs of plastic.

I would say the Husky weights are more realistic the Redmax.

I'm gonna weight them for shits and giggles.
  5. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

That will be distributor dependent. In the US Husqvarna doesn't use distributors for equipment branded under their name except for CA, NV, and HI which are handled by Bee Tee Distributing. So in most areas they will go for $479 for the 170BT and $529 for the 180BT. For the Redmax branded units they are all sold through distributors. In my area, it's more expensive to buy under the Redmax name than a Husqvarna branded one...$10 on the 170 and $20 on the 180.
  6. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

Husky had to do something, there old stuff was awful. But they have a lot of money and went out and aqcuired the best. If they want to compete in the mowing market, they will do the same with their zero turns
  7. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

The old Husky blowers with the kawasaki engines were reliable and easy to start but lacked in performance. As for the Z mowers, we had them for a number of years but couldn't give one away the last year or two and now we don't stock them anymore. While they may not have been the best Z mower on the market they really weren't bad and the consumer models held up better than some of the other consumer Z's we had. It's just that no one would even give me the time of day if i showed them a Husky Z.
  8. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Anyone have experience with Husqvarna 356 bp blower? It is the new style super quiet one. Seldom hear anything about this blower.
  9. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

BeeTee will no longer be the Husky dist. for those states. I believe it is April 15th or so that Husqvarna USA will be taking over.
  10. tallimeca

Husqvarna is no longer using any distributors. Everything is direct, at least here on the east cost.

If i order parts before say 3 pm, i have them next day ups. Can't beat that.