1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yes I am another newbie!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by amobcp, Jun 8, 2004.

1. amobcp

amobcp LawnSite Member

I am really thankfull for this site. Spent many hours on it but still have to a this question. I just sold out of a masonry business. I have decided and am determined to do Lawn Care business next. I do have a Kioti Tractor and Trailor already from old business. Would it be a possible option to add emplements to the tractor and market services such as bush hogging, large acreage mowing, stump removal, maybe mini escavating ect, or Just start with the brochures, newspaper and go for the slow low investment residential lawn mowing route.
  2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

You've already got the tractor, go for the niche. At least then, if you get into residential mowing, you can offer once a month bush hogging for the cheapskates who don't want weekly mowing (just be sure to charge almost four times the weekly rate).
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes if you have the equip go for it. crawdad had a good idea.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Make use of what you have and build upon it,the possibilities are always endless.
  5. amobcp

amobcp LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input, does anyone have any sugestions on how the best way to market these services
  6. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to alot of people. Get business cards printed and start circulating them. You can print flyers but remember they have a typical low responce rate. Papers are another. The possibilities are endless, just depends on how much time and/or money you wish to put behind you.
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

The tractor would be great for the services you mentioned. I may be reading it wrong, but if you do "lawn" service, the tractor isn't going to help much other than very large properties where quality of cut isn't an issue. Plus productivity would suck anyhow on anything less than an acre or two.
  8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Go for the bush-hoggin. Around here, we have call for a lot of bush-hoggin. Does your tractor have a front loader? Comes in rreal handy.

sandys lot 002.jpg
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Trust me call every tom dick and harry that mows lawns. I belive I get about 15-20 calls a month for one or two time bush hawging. If I get that many there has to be others that get some to.
  10. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

Advertise as much as possible. Ads in paper, flyers, cards, and anyhting else that you can afford to do. If possible, I would make sure that I could had enough basic equipment to do some residential lawns. These are the bread and butter of most lawn care companies. As time goes on you can build your clientel nad be more selective in the type of work that you do. Good Luck