Yes Mr. Smith, I'll be there Friday, weather permitting...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cuts, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Thursday night, Friday morning... rain is pouring down... properties are saturated. Saturday morning, I load up, go pick up 40 bales of pine straw... head down to the customers house and what do I find??? An army of 11 year olds with rakes, edgers, pushmowers... ACK!!!!

*knock knock*
    Him - "Hey D... I didn't know you were coming today, you didn't give me a definate date"

Me - Well, I told you I would be here yesterday unless it rained, so naturally I pushed you to the next day... today. We did agree on this weekend right?

Him - "Ooooh, I guess we did... but since I didn't here from you all week, I didn't think you were coming...."

Me - Well, I did say on the phone, I'll be there at the end of the week... Friday, possibly Saturday if it rains Friday....

Him - "Well, I just figured I'd have my kids do the clean up... and save you the trouble..."

grrrr...wtf

Him - "B bu but, But, I still want you to do the lawn maintenance, when can ya start???"

Me - When the lawn starts growing... it's brown, it's dormant... call me when it starts growing and I'll put you on a schedule... What am I suppose to do with this pine straw???

Him - "Oh, I still want the straw... come back during the week and put it down... When can ya come back...???"

Me - End of next week... Friday... weather permitting, if not, then Saturday... :cry: :hammerhead:

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

be sure to charge him for a second visit or they will probably pull this a few times through out the season

3. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

the thing that burns me up is... it was a new community for me... only 40 homes ($350,000.00+) My flyers returned one call (his) which a really good clean up and straw would've established a reputation there. But, now his kids are doing the clean up, and a lousy one at that... and it'll reflect my lawn maintenance. Ya know? I was prep'd to rip and tear everything out, trim trees, bushes, edge the beds, mow the lawn...etc... Now all I'm gonna do is add pine straw. ugh!

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

what makes you think he won't pull this stunt again with you? like when you show up to the cut grass and it's already been cut?
    the longer you've been in business, the quicker you'll realize that customers like these, aren't ones that you can rely on. he obviously has no respect for you that you are running a business and that you wasted your time today.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I would have told him he can let his army of 11 year olds cut the grass. 40 bales of pine straw, that seems like a flatbed trailer full am I missing something?

6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

What were you planning to do with 40 bales of straw? You seeding a new lawn?

7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

pine straw it's a type of mulch
    [​IMG]
    **image taken from syntheticstraw.com**

8. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Well I thankyou young man! Learn something new everyday here!:drinkup: