Yes or No

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southern Lawns, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Was playing golf Saturday (been real lucky with the weather, all the work is caught up) with a friend who is also in the business. He is more into irrigation with maintenance filling maybe a day and a half a week. I'm mostly maintenance with maybe a half a day of irrigation repair a week. Anyway..............We were talking about how much $ should one be making in order to justify bringing in a hand. The question is: Would the majority of you bring in a helper to help you make say $1200.00 a week and out of that pay him say $220.00. Or would the majority feel that you should be making much more in order to justify him.
    I know there are a lot of variables but don't read into the question too much! Yes or No.
    Thank you

:jester:

2. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

no,$1200 should be made by yourself in a week if you bring in a helper he should double what your grossing a week:cool:

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i say no too for 1200, but a helper will not likely ever double your gross. inefficiencies exist when you add a man to a crew, and he likely wont be as fast or hard working as you.

having said that, only you know how much you want to go home with at the end of the week. use that number and go from there.

4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

NO WAY!!! $220.00 per week???
    $220.00 per week (assuming 40 hours) is only $5.50 PER HOUR. I start people pushing a mower at $8.50.
    Around here if you plan on hiring an irrigation tech you need to be thinking more like $600.00 per week.

5. Southern Lawns

I knew someone would miss the question all together.
    Who said anything about 40 hours a week and $5.50 an hour:confused:

6. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Let me understand, you're going to hire a "part-time" irrigation tech???????? lol
    (I can only answer the question with the info given... I didn't miss anything)

7. Southern Lawns

OK let me try this again for the reading impaired. TRY NOT TO READ TOO MUCH INTO THE QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forget about the work and JUST FOCUS ON THE NUMBERS...............Relax and FOCUS ON THE NUMBERS...................................

8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i'm not sure if this is your answer..... but, to add $1200 per week to my existing accounts required me to have additional help, $220 sounds ok.

it's hard to judge with sooo many factors involved.........extra hours, labor hours, operating expenses, etc.

your question is very vague....

you shouldn't be so defensive when members give their 2 cents!!!!

take it as it is...

Dave

9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I would consider a helper if I could make 2000.00+ a week, and would have to pay him or her about 350.00 to start. I know you can not make double, but you should be able to do more than by yourself, and not be as tired as I am now.

10. Southern Lawns

My thinking was, wait till you peak and then bring in help. His theory was that if you are at $1000. to $1200. a week. Bring in help and not go home so tired. That was our difference in opinion. We realize it's all up to what we need/wish to put in our pocket at the end of the week but we where just having a discussion about help and the lawn care business. His theory does have a nice twang to it but it won't pay the bills.
    Raymond