Yes to sodding!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigjeeping, Aug 19, 2005.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone who's laid sod... give me an estimate for the labor here.

55'x9' area where sod needs to be torn up (will be using an edger and shovels), and then lay new sod down.

I have used edgers and shovels before and I have a good technique. If anyone had any techniques for this which don't require large equipment let me know!

I was thinking 4 guys to tear it up and 2 to lay it. I am included as one of the guys.
    5-6 hours total (including deliverying sod)
    I was thinking $400-450 + cost of sod.

I already did a sod job for the same lady, about half this size and charged her $250.
  2. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

realize your man hours. By your post you said 4men at lets say 5.5 hours, thats 22 man hours. $450 / 22 MAN HOURS = $20.45 A MAN HOUR. Only you know if thats good enough according to your market. Don't forget disposal and the time, fuel and charges involved. You charged half the amount last time for half the job, so get ready for why is it more than double for only double the job if you try to get more $. Hope I made sense.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, you did but also consider this:
    THREE of the guys are helpers, only ONE of the four needs to earn the extra for the company for profit, not all of them need make 50/hour, only the first one so lets see:
    Pay each $10/hour (that's a very generous rate here) so that's 6 hours x 3 guys x 10 dollars = $180 dollars and lets add the 4th guy in there so it comes to 240 dollars so then 450-240 and d@mmit now stick $10 in the truck for fuel so it's an even 200 dollars profit but you gotta pay out about another 50 bucks in social.sec. so 150 is profit on 5 hours that's $30 / hour profit on 6 hours it's $25/hour. I don't think that's too bad, and no it's not all profit because tools and stuff but still, after labor and soc.sec. anyway.