1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

yet ANOTHER million $$$ idea

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 7, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yes, indeed, i have come up with another brainstorm. this one is neck and neck with ralph kramden's "no cal pizza" idea. the first thing i need, are some answeres to my questions. the first one is- out of every 100 homeowners in an average neighborhood, how many of them - #1- fertilize thier own lawns. #2- hire out for fertilizing. #3- don't even bother to fertilize. thank you
  2. arnoldoutdoor

arnoldoutdoor LawnSite Member

out of 100 people in a neighborhood of $250,000.00+ homes, i'd guess that 45 of them dont fertilize, 30 of them fertilize once or twice, 20 of them fertilize every 3-4 weeks, and 5 of them hire it out to good ole truegreen chemlawn.
  3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

#3-All the rest
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

To supply the answer wil take an in depth study of the habits of the citizens of said community. Taking into consideration age, income, lenght at residents etc. Please send me a check for 10K so that I may start the study and provide the answers you requested Email me for the address to send the check.

BTW--- what 10k for a milllion $$$ idea?????
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I am not anticipating your answer, but I'll help you with the figs...
    I got 55 customers and would say:
    About two thirds dun give a fugg.
    Out of the other third, 6-8 hire Chemlawn or Scotts or some comparably BIG, well-known name.
    About 12 to 15 get me to do it but it's a variety or a combination of any or ALL of lime / fert / aeration / seed OR weed control.

Far as the million bucks, I just buy the lottery ticket, it's much easier.

One other thing - Whatever you say, do NOT change the plan mid-post please :rolleyes:
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

varies by means and location

but here
    #1 25 no rhyme or reason to what they do for 15 of those.
    #2 20
    #3 55

but understand that some of the people do 1 and 2. I have seen it and formerly had one as a client. Had TGCL and used to apply a "light coat" himself between visits.

Keep word there was HAD.
  7. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

All due respect here but how much bs do you have? Are you real or a computer generated thimbout? :waving:
  8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

around here, my rough, going from memory estimate would be maybe 5 themselves (and very irregularly) 4 tru-green, and the rest zippo, thats info from my 70 or so stops and probably about 90-100 discernable lawns. And no, I don't fertilize but looking at my numbers I should.
  9. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

probably a third of our customers have some sort of mass chemical application by one or another of the big names. I believe this is down from previous years but I'd have to really check our records to confirm that.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Of the 200 or so homes within a 1 mile drive of my house I'd have to say only 20 or 25 do anything. There's only one road in and I do occasionally see CL/TG come in and leave within about 1/2 hour. That's probably 2 lawns. On my block of 26 homes only 4 get anything done. If any small companies (LCO) are doing it they aren't leaving the required signs on the lawns.