1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yet another Sod install question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kenny6425, Aug 1, 2006.

1. kenny6425

kenny6425 LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I got a small sod install to do, but need some help with the site prep. I will be sodding both sides of a small driveway roughly 10 feet out on each side. Each side has very compacted gravel and slightly sloped. My question is what to do about the compacted gravel? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

i'd remove as much of the gravel as possible,(5 inches?) then add topsoil. use a box blade on a tractor and scrape the gravel out. dump the gravel in somebody's gravel driveway.
  3. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

if the gravel is compacted very hard a box blade won't get it out. uni-loader it out. the sod wont grow to well if not removed. like sodding on concrete.
  4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

try a walk behind tiller to loosen the soil then add peatmoss or compost then lightly till again , rake and grade , then add sod .
  5. kenny6425

kenny6425 LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Thank you all for the excellent information. I sincerely appreciate it.