Yet another weed ID

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Oct 28, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Guys:
    This weed looks and grows like plantain but has a yellow flower instead of the stalk with a seedpod. It pulls like plantain. I've used "Image" and Atrazine on it but nothing seems to work. The area is South Carolina coast and the turf is centipede. Could someone help me ID and what would be a good kill. Remember that centipede and St. Augustine can't take anything with high 2-4D.
    Here is the attachment:

SC Weed.jpg

2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

asiatic hawksbeard...i believe betasan gets it. prompt is a good choice.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

4. RAlmaroad

from SC

Thanks, it is indeed the asiatic hawksbeard. I followed Olive's lead and found it. Seems like it is herbicide resistant. I have and will try the Prompt. This is a escellent example of a problem with the Dimension that I put down the first of May. Seems like it just poops out before it takes care of the seed that these things sprout. I did apply granular atrazine last December and that didn't stop the seed. Any suggestions or thoughts on a later application of Dimension or doing a split application about Mid-July?
    I made that photo in the rain with flash. That's why the flower is white instead of yellow and the shine from the wet plant.
    Thanks and any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Rest of the yards are fairly weed free and still green...Now on with the creeping charlie (Ground Ivy)
    Roy

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

RAlmaroad , I put that weed there several days ago to confuse you

6. RAlmaroad

from SC

Gees Arizona--with all that help, we could start a farm. Really, they were new this year. We have lots of birds that probably did the number as they were only under the trees where they would roost--none in the open areas. I pulled a bucket of them but a few left. I'll get the basagran and atrazine after them.
    Do you feel that split application of Dimension is more of a risk than helpful. My personal feeling is that the half-A.I. isn't strong enough to do the job either time and is a waste. I'd almost rather just do a second application and be sure.
    Thanks,
    Roy