Yew and chain vs skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 94gt331, Jul 20, 2014.

1. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Yew wins!
    It was one of those days I said: what if or I should have many times, oh well a expensive learning experience.

DSCF0258.jpg

DSCF0260.jpg

DSCF0262.jpg

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

what is a yew? A tree?

3. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

This is why I dislike Deere..... There is no way that should of happened.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 94gt331

Male

Yew is a evergreen shrub, there root system gets very big after many years and almost grows like a stump of a tree underground making them hard to pull out at times. Yew's are very common here in our area and where very common plantings maybe up until 10 years ago, now alot of our customers like having them cut or pulled out. Here's a couple pics of some yews, also a pic of there root system, in that pic we are getting ready to grind them out.

DSCF0475.jpg

DSCF0937.jpg

DSCF0936.jpg

DSCF0991.jpg

5. 94gt331

Male

The guy that works for me today had the same thing happen on a case machine just plowing snow. And yeah it happened on my friends deere backhoe, it just never happened to me before. But I can understand we where putting to much stress trying to pull it out with a chain. Would of tried digging it out but it was above a small retaining wall we couldn't get up there.

6. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I could understand plowing if you hit sonething solid, but unless you tried hitting it full out, that should not happen. If you were backing up your lift arms should take the stress
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not so sure that is a Yew.

8. 94gt331

Male

Your not sure, i see your from sc, maybe it looks different in your plant zone, these pics are deffinatly yews, we work them often here in pa. And there are alot of variety's of yews here as well.

9. 94gt331

Male

Yeah needless to say they broke, like I admit, operator error probaly has alot to do with it, abuse, maybe, like you say maybe it's just a deere thing:laugh:

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Yews were huge. They look so 80's now! I wonder if we will be ripping out boxwoods in 25 years or so...lol