1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Yew and chain vs skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 94gt331, Jul 20, 2014.

1. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

That excavator would have came in handy for that lol.

I've used forks before. I don't like pulling with chains.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Most definitely yews. Junipers never shear like that.

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Sad part is a Yew can be cut real hard and will get new growth, a juniper wont.

4. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't realize Deere had a radial lift machine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

That sucks man, just put tires on my skid, then put it in the shop for another 800 in repairs, then dropped off my dads pickup for another 800, the dumps in right now and i know the parts alone are almost 2k. Pay to play is right!!!

6. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Chain was wrapped around bucket, bucket was high in the air, and the machine was under too much stress, the chain was still around the bucket when I personally pulled the chain, wasn't near the cylinder, you can see the cylinder in the pic has a nice bow in it, pretty crazy.
    The pic of the first yew wasn't the yew we pulled today, i just showed that pic as a reference to what a yew looks like.

7. 94gt331

Male

Yes that would have been nice, just workin with what I got u know. I agree pulling with chains can be iffy there wiffy lol.

8. 94gt331

Male

It's ok, but the first pic is still a yew, very tall yew that's been there awhile, and it's green, kinda looks like a juniper but it was trimmed tight every year so that might be why your mistaken it for a juniper. I think I'm more concerned about the truth of the yews in my pics than anyhing at this point, jk moving on now, I let ya''ll know the damage on the repair tomorrow hopefully.:drinkup:

9. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Been ripping out Boxwoods for the last 15 years. LOL They where mainstream here in the 70's and 80's.

10. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I agree. Possible that there was something ready to fail or some sideways torque??